Lindsey Vonn: “I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend”

Jun 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook

Despite the budding relationship between Lindsey Vonn and Tiger Woods, the Olympic champ said she’s been able to go relatively unnoticed at this week’s U.S. Open just outside Philadelphia.

“I can be normal by myself; no one notices me,” she told the New York Times Friday. “But wherever he’s around, we’re living in a fishbowl. I didn’t quite know what I was getting myself into. It’s weird. But it’s just something I have to deal with. He has his job, and I have mine. I just have to get used to it.”

She added that things have been going great, was “really happy,” and seemed content to disappear into the throngs of people while following her boyfriend around the course. But Vonn admitted that one thing is bothering her.

“Some people seem to forget that I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend,” the Vancouver gold medalist explained. “I’m actually a successful athlete. I’m Lindsey. I have my own career and my own life.”

But Vonn says it’s worth it, and went on to argue that, regardless of whether they’re known celebrities or the world’s best athletes in their respective sports, they’re still just a normal, everyday couple.

“Most things are very normal, but something like going out to dinner is next to impossible,” she said. “Unless he wore a wig, I think he’d be recognized.”

Vonn is recovering from an ACL and MCL tear that she suffered at the world championships back in February. She was seen wearing a knee brace when she was following Tiger around Augusta in April, but has since ditched it and claimed she’ll be ready to ski by September. Plenty of time to prepare for Sochi.

“I honestly feel like there will be less pressure on me at these Olympics,” Vonn added. “It helps to have already stood up to that pressure once. The Olympics were the most pressure I’ve ever felt. Tiger lives that kind of pressure every single day. So I can talk to him about that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Watch NBC Olympics one year from Rio 2016 promo video

Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT

Rio 2016

The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.

2. Triathletes’ reactions to Rio Olympic water venue after test event

Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT

AP AP

“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.

3. Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback

Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.

4. David Boudia earns another World Diving Championships silver

Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.

5. Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships

Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.

6. Ronda Rousey knocks out Bethe Correia in 34 seconds

Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT

AP AP

Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.

7. World Swimming Championships men’s preview

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.

8. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

9. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

10. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

11. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

12. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

13. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

14. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.