Lindsey Vonn: “I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend”

Jun 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook

Despite the budding relationship between Lindsey Vonn and Tiger Woods, the Olympic champ said she’s been able to go relatively unnoticed at this week’s U.S. Open just outside Philadelphia.

“I can be normal by myself; no one notices me,” she told the New York Times Friday. “But wherever he’s around, we’re living in a fishbowl. I didn’t quite know what I was getting myself into. It’s weird. But it’s just something I have to deal with. He has his job, and I have mine. I just have to get used to it.”

She added that things have been going great, was “really happy,” and seemed content to disappear into the throngs of people while following her boyfriend around the course. But Vonn admitted that one thing is bothering her.

“Some people seem to forget that I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend,” the Vancouver gold medalist explained. “I’m actually a successful athlete. I’m Lindsey. I have my own career and my own life.”

But Vonn says it’s worth it, and went on to argue that, regardless of whether they’re known celebrities or the world’s best athletes in their respective sports, they’re still just a normal, everyday couple.

“Most things are very normal, but something like going out to dinner is next to impossible,” she said. “Unless he wore a wig, I think he’d be recognized.”

Vonn is recovering from an ACL and MCL tear that she suffered at the world championships back in February. She was seen wearing a knee brace when she was following Tiger around Augusta in April, but has since ditched it and claimed she’ll be ready to ski by September. Plenty of time to prepare for Sochi.

“I honestly feel like there will be less pressure on me at these Olympics,” Vonn added. “It helps to have already stood up to that pressure once. The Olympics were the most pressure I’ve ever felt. Tiger lives that kind of pressure every single day. So I can talk to him about that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban

Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.

2. Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish

Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.

3. David Boudia ponders a third diving event leading to 2016

Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.

4. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

5. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

6. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

7. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.

8. 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters

Jul 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT

Champion Goldy

Extraordinary men include war veterans, longtime NASA worker, Methodist minister.

9. Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits

Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Kim Jin-sun AP

Kim Jin-sun had been the committee’s president since October 2011.

10. Mariel Zagunis wins silver at World Fencing Championships (video)

Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Mariel Zagunis Getty Images

U.S. Olympic flag bearer returned to the podium after missing medals at 2012 Olympics, 2013 Worlds.

11. Henry Ellard, former NFL All-Pro receiver, competes at USATF Masters

Jul 18, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

Henry Ellard Getty Images

Ellard triple jumped at 1992 U.S. Olympic Trials.

12. Jesse Owens biopic cast headliners revealed

Jul 17, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

Jesse Owens AP

Multiple Owens biopics in the works.

13. Lifetime doping bans not legal, WADA president says

Jul 17, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Craig Reedie Reuters

But a four-year ban would stand up in court.

14. Olympians, Paralympians at the ESPYs (photos)

Jul 17, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

Jamie Anderson

Sochi stars and a 12-time Olympic medalist were at Nokia Theater.

15. Monaco Diamond League on world record watch; preview

Jul 17, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT

Absel Kiprop Getty Images

Asbel Kiprop goes after 16-year-old mark in 1500m.

16. South Korea men’s hockey team might not qualify for 2018

Jul 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

Host countries aren’t assured spots in the Olympics anymore, and South Korea is ranked very low.

17. Paralympic champion Josh Sweeney receives Tillman Award at ESPYs

Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney AP

Sweeney, a Purple Heart recipient, scored the gold-winning goal in Sochi.