Lindsey Vonn: “I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend”

Jun 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook

Despite the budding relationship between Lindsey Vonn and Tiger Woods, the Olympic champ said she’s been able to go relatively unnoticed at this week’s U.S. Open just outside Philadelphia.

“I can be normal by myself; no one notices me,” she told the New York Times Friday. “But wherever he’s around, we’re living in a fishbowl. I didn’t quite know what I was getting myself into. It’s weird. But it’s just something I have to deal with. He has his job, and I have mine. I just have to get used to it.”

She added that things have been going great, was “really happy,” and seemed content to disappear into the throngs of people while following her boyfriend around the course. But Vonn admitted that one thing is bothering her.

“Some people seem to forget that I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend,” the Vancouver gold medalist explained. “I’m actually a successful athlete. I’m Lindsey. I have my own career and my own life.”

But Vonn says it’s worth it, and went on to argue that, regardless of whether they’re known celebrities or the world’s best athletes in their respective sports, they’re still just a normal, everyday couple.

“Most things are very normal, but something like going out to dinner is next to impossible,” she said. “Unless he wore a wig, I think he’d be recognized.”

Vonn is recovering from an ACL and MCL tear that she suffered at the world championships back in February. She was seen wearing a knee brace when she was following Tiger around Augusta in April, but has since ditched it and claimed she’ll be ready to ski by September. Plenty of time to prepare for Sochi.

“I honestly feel like there will be less pressure on me at these Olympics,” Vonn added. “It helps to have already stood up to that pressure once. The Olympics were the most pressure I’ve ever felt. Tiger lives that kind of pressure every single day. So I can talk to him about that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Nike, USA Track and Field extend partnership through 2040

Apr 16, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT

Ashton Eaton AP

Deal takes Nike, USATF through next seven Olympics.

2. Catching up with Bruce Jenner

Apr 16, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT

Bruce Jenner Getty Images

Decathlon champion talks Montreal 1976, Steve Prefontaine and the greatest athlete of all time.

3. Boston Marathon finish line security visibility increased after backpack incident

Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Police commissioner asks spectators not to flock to Boylston Street on Monday.

4. Oscar Pistorius trial will take break for 2 weeks

Apr 16, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Judge will spend break reading 2,000-page court record.

5. ISU receives South Korea complaint over figure skating judging

Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Korea Skating Union is protesting the makeup of judges, not the results.

6. Boston Marathon tribute, moment of silence held near finish line

Apr 15, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Boston Marathon Bombing Anniversary AP

Survivors, first responders, those affected by attack take part in tribute.

7. Boston sports teams share same #BostonStrong tweet

Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Boston Strong

Teams’ tweets sent at same time Tuesday morning.

8. Usain Bolt talks about foot injury, focus beyond 2014

Apr 15, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

World’s fastest man might not race again until June.

9. Can Michael Phelps excel in comeback?

Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

What is the competition like in Phelps’ potential events?

10. Oscar Pistorius’ cross-examination ends at murder trial

Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Prosecution asks for break until May 5.

11. Boston Marathon tragedy remembered on anniversary

Apr 15, 2014, 8:16 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

Ceremony, moment of silence to honor, remember last year’s tragedy.

12. Catching up with Mark Henry

Apr 14, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Mark Henry Getty Images

‘World’s Strongest Man’ talks about nude photo shoot, pro wrestling career, meeting Andre the Giant.

13. Michael Phelps coming out of retirement

Apr 14, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps announced as headliner for meet next week, ending two-year break.

14. How Michael Phelps spent his retirement (photos)

Apr 14, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Pele, Michael Phelps AP

22-time Olympic medalist expected to come out of retirement next week.

15. Update: One runner dies, another goes missing, found after London Marathon

Apr 14, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT

London Marathon

Woman who finished 20th found day after disappearing.

16. International Ski Federation defends slopestyle’s safety

Apr 14, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT

Alexey Sobolev Reuters

It’s too early to draw conclusions on Sochi, FIS official says.

17. Oscar Pistorius emotionally breaks down as prosecution alleges inconsistencies

Apr 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Pistorius hugged by woman as he enters court, signs autograph after Monday’s session.

18. Slopestyle’s injury rate too high for Olympics, IOC official says

Apr 13, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT

Shaun White Reuters

Ski and snowboard slopestyle’s injury rates highest among Sochi sports.

19. Boston Marathon details security near finish line

Apr 13, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

More checkpoints, police officers along Boylston Street to the finish.

20. Mo Farah beaten in London Marathon (video)

Apr 13, 2014, 7:23 AM EDT

Mo Farah Getty Images

Farah asked if he will continue marathon running after disappointing finish.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback