Lindsey Vonn: “I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend”

Jun 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook

Despite the budding relationship between Lindsey Vonn and Tiger Woods, the Olympic champ said she’s been able to go relatively unnoticed at this week’s U.S. Open just outside Philadelphia.

“I can be normal by myself; no one notices me,” she told the New York Times Friday. “But wherever he’s around, we’re living in a fishbowl. I didn’t quite know what I was getting myself into. It’s weird. But it’s just something I have to deal with. He has his job, and I have mine. I just have to get used to it.”

She added that things have been going great, was “really happy,” and seemed content to disappear into the throngs of people while following her boyfriend around the course. But Vonn admitted that one thing is bothering her.

“Some people seem to forget that I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend,” the Vancouver gold medalist explained. “I’m actually a successful athlete. I’m Lindsey. I have my own career and my own life.”

But Vonn says it’s worth it, and went on to argue that, regardless of whether they’re known celebrities or the world’s best athletes in their respective sports, they’re still just a normal, everyday couple.

“Most things are very normal, but something like going out to dinner is next to impossible,” she said. “Unless he wore a wig, I think he’d be recognized.”

Vonn is recovering from an ACL and MCL tear that she suffered at the world championships back in February. She was seen wearing a knee brace when she was following Tiger around Augusta in April, but has since ditched it and claimed she’ll be ready to ski by September. Plenty of time to prepare for Sochi.

“I honestly feel like there will be less pressure on me at these Olympics,” Vonn added. “It helps to have already stood up to that pressure once. The Olympics were the most pressure I’ve ever felt. Tiger lives that kind of pressure every single day. So I can talk to him about that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Watch trailers for ‘Touch the Wall’ about Missy Franklin

Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Missy Franklin

Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.

2. Miracle on Ice fantasy camp set for Lake Placid

Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Miracle on Ice camp

Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.

3. Daron Rahlves, four-time Olympian, in lightsuit skiing video

Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Daron Rahlves

Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.

4. Boxer attacks referee at European Youth Championships (video)

Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Boxing gloves Getty Images

Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.

5. Norway Olympic Committee president to step down

Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT

Borre Rognlien Getty Images

Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.

6. Oscar Pistorius barred from Rio Paralympics

Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.

7. Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison

Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.

8. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

9. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

10. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

11. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

12. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

13. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

14. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

15. IOC wants ‘full explanation’ from Russian about ‘Williams brothers’ comments

Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Shamil Tarpischev Getty Images

Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.

16. Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season

Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Aksel Lund Svindal Getty Images

How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.

17. Shaun White brings Air & Style event to Rose Bowl

Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.

18. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes opine on skating to lyrics

Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Michelle Kwan Getty Images

Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.