Lindsey Vonn: “I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend”

Jun 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook

Despite the budding relationship between Lindsey Vonn and Tiger Woods, the Olympic champ said she’s been able to go relatively unnoticed at this week’s U.S. Open just outside Philadelphia.

“I can be normal by myself; no one notices me,” she told the New York Times Friday. “But wherever he’s around, we’re living in a fishbowl. I didn’t quite know what I was getting myself into. It’s weird. But it’s just something I have to deal with. He has his job, and I have mine. I just have to get used to it.”

She added that things have been going great, was “really happy,” and seemed content to disappear into the throngs of people while following her boyfriend around the course. But Vonn admitted that one thing is bothering her.

“Some people seem to forget that I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend,” the Vancouver gold medalist explained. “I’m actually a successful athlete. I’m Lindsey. I have my own career and my own life.”

But Vonn says it’s worth it, and went on to argue that, regardless of whether they’re known celebrities or the world’s best athletes in their respective sports, they’re still just a normal, everyday couple.

“Most things are very normal, but something like going out to dinner is next to impossible,” she said. “Unless he wore a wig, I think he’d be recognized.”

Vonn is recovering from an ACL and MCL tear that she suffered at the world championships back in February. She was seen wearing a knee brace when she was following Tiger around Augusta in April, but has since ditched it and claimed she’ll be ready to ski by September. Plenty of time to prepare for Sochi.

“I honestly feel like there will be less pressure on me at these Olympics,” Vonn added. “It helps to have already stood up to that pressure once. The Olympics were the most pressure I’ve ever felt. Tiger lives that kind of pressure every single day. So I can talk to him about that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated

Sep 13, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Nike had suspended its contract with the runner six days after he shot and killed his girlfriend.

2. Jenny Simpson has long-standing record in sight after spectacular season

Sep 12, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jenny Simpson Getty Images

Simpson, racing the Fifth Avenue Mile on Saturday, is one tenth away from breaking a 31-year-old mark.

3. Things Mutaz Barshim could jump over (photos)

Sep 12, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Mutaz Barshim

High jumper hashtag has taken social media by storm.

4. Reeva Steenkamp’s mom says justice was not served in Oscar Pistorius trial (video)

Sep 12, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Barry Steenkamp, June Steenkamp Getty Images

Steenkamp’s parents want to meet with Pistorius, they told NBC News.

5. Oscar Pistorius would be allowed in Paralympics after serving sentence

Sep 12, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

“We would not stand in his way,” IPC spokesman said.

6. Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide (verdict video)

Sep 12, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison, plus sentence for gun charge.

7. World Gymnastics Championships nominative lists announced

Sep 11, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

U.S. women’s team won’t officially be named until next week.

8. Mikaela Shiffrin eyes breakthrough with World Cup season approaching

Sep 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Olympic slalom champion hopes for multiple World Cup giant slalom wins this season.

9. Oscar Pistorius trial judge rules out murder, verdict incomplete

Sep 11, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner could still face up to 15 years in prison for culpable homicide.

10. Amanda Kessel to miss 2014-15 season due to pre-Olympic concussion

Sep 10, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT

Amanda Kessel Getty Images

Kessel visited brain center run by same doctor who treated Sidney Crosby.

11. Tokyo 1964 Olympic cauldron lighter passes away

Sep 10, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT

Yoshinori Kasai Getty Images

Yoshinori Sakai was born on the day an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima.

12. Bob Suter of Miracle on Ice team passes away

Sep 9, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT

Bob Suter Getty Images

Suter, 57, was the father and brother of U.S. Olympians, too.

13. Oscar Pistorius trial resumes for verdict Thursday

Sep 9, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Why the runner’s judgment could be a very long process.

14. Jordan Burroughs sprains MCL, wins bronze at World Wrestling Championships

Sep 9, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Jordan Burroughs Getty Images

Burroughs suffered a left knee injury in an early match that he won.

15. IOC: FIFA boss says 2022 World Cup won’t clash with Olympics

Sep 9, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT

Sepp Blatter, Jacques Rogge Getty Images

Qatar World Cup could change dates to due high summer temperatures.

16. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross would not go back to old partners

Sep 8, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT

April Ross, Kerri Walsh Getty Images

The No. 1 team on their radar right now is a Brazilian upstart.

17. One FIFA alternative 2022 World Cup window could creep into Feb.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Sepp Blatter Reuters

Qatar World Cup could start in November or January instead of June-July.

18. Jordan Burroughs enters World Championships on new streak after tasting defeat

Sep 8, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT

Jordan Burroughs Getty Images

With another World title, Burroughs can move closer to the one U.S. wrestler he puts on a pedestal.

19. Rio 2016 Paralympics storylines with 2 years to go

Sep 7, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT

Rio 2016 Paralympics logo

Five athletes to watch going forward.