Lindsey Vonn: “I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend”

Jun 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook Courtesy of Lindsey Vonn via Facebook

Despite the budding relationship between Lindsey Vonn and Tiger Woods, the Olympic champ said she’s been able to go relatively unnoticed at this week’s U.S. Open just outside Philadelphia.

“I can be normal by myself; no one notices me,” she told the New York Times Friday. “But wherever he’s around, we’re living in a fishbowl. I didn’t quite know what I was getting myself into. It’s weird. But it’s just something I have to deal with. He has his job, and I have mine. I just have to get used to it.”

She added that things have been going great, was “really happy,” and seemed content to disappear into the throngs of people while following her boyfriend around the course. But Vonn admitted that one thing is bothering her.

“Some people seem to forget that I’m not just Tiger’s girlfriend,” the Vancouver gold medalist explained. “I’m actually a successful athlete. I’m Lindsey. I have my own career and my own life.”

But Vonn says it’s worth it, and went on to argue that, regardless of whether they’re known celebrities or the world’s best athletes in their respective sports, they’re still just a normal, everyday couple.

“Most things are very normal, but something like going out to dinner is next to impossible,” she said. “Unless he wore a wig, I think he’d be recognized.”

Vonn is recovering from an ACL and MCL tear that she suffered at the world championships back in February. She was seen wearing a knee brace when she was following Tiger around Augusta in April, but has since ditched it and claimed she’ll be ready to ski by September. Plenty of time to prepare for Sochi.

“I honestly feel like there will be less pressure on me at these Olympics,” Vonn added. “It helps to have already stood up to that pressure once. The Olympics were the most pressure I’ve ever felt. Tiger lives that kind of pressure every single day. So I can talk to him about that.”

1. ninthwardfriend - Jun 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Tiger those white women gonna break yo ass. Keep on messing with them.

2. seattlenative57 - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM

@ninthwardfriend=racist pig

3. mogogo1 - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

This was probably inevitable. Vonn is an extremely skilled self-promoter and I have zero doubt that was part of the appeal of dating Tiger. But, with the added attention comes the sting of people focusing way more on him and basically forgetting who she is as the label “Tiger’s girlfriend” is applied.

Still not sure the entire relationship isn’t about reforming his image and getting more attention for them both.

• florida727 - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

“But Vonn says it’s worth it, and went on to argue that, regardless of whether they’re known celebrities or the world’s best athletes in their respective sports…”

Who ever said they were the best athletes in their respective sports? She’s definitely not. Not even close. And if you’re looking at it historically, neither is he. Remind me again: when did he last win a major?

• Matthew Kitchen - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

She’s won six straight Downhill World Cup titles, including this year when she was out for most of the season. She also won Downhill gold in Vancouver and at Worlds in 2009. And he’s won four tournaments this year and is currently ranked No. 1 in the world by a sizable margin.

So… yeah…

4. dhillca - Jun 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Right on mathew I agree
    Best in their sports tout a doubt

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games