Jun 14, 2013, 9:36 AM EST
In not so surprising news, Oscar Pistorius has been left off the South African Paralympic team for the World Championships next month in France.
The once inspiring Olympic sprinter and Paralympian champion ruled out racing in 2013 back in May so he and his team could focus on his upcoming murder trial. Pistorus has admitted to shooting girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria on Valentine’s day of this year, but claims he though she was an intruder when he fired four shots through his bathroom door.
In spite of his claim, Pistorius has been charged with premeditated murder. His trial was set to start earlier this month, but was postponed by the prosecution at a June 4 hearing, during which court officials criticized the “trial by media” that included a British TV special highlighted by Steenkamp’s mother, June, bringing Pistorius’s character into question. A new trial date is set for August 19.
- Openly gay athletes part of White House delegation to Sochi Olympics 6
- Shaun White skips Copper Mountain halfpipe 0
- NBCSN to present more than 230 hours of Sochi Olympic coverage 1
- Oscar Pistorius world’s highest trending athlete on Google in 2013 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin struggles in Courchevel slalom; Marlies Schild wins 0
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (19)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)