Jun 14, 2013, 9:36 AM EDT
In not so surprising news, Oscar Pistorius has been left off the South African Paralympic team for the World Championships next month in France.
The once inspiring Olympic sprinter and Paralympian champion ruled out racing in 2013 back in May so he and his team could focus on his upcoming murder trial. Pistorus has admitted to shooting girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria on Valentine’s day of this year, but claims he though she was an intruder when he fired four shots through his bathroom door.
In spite of his claim, Pistorius has been charged with premeditated murder. His trial was set to start earlier this month, but was postponed by the prosecution at a June 4 hearing, during which court officials criticized the “trial by media” that included a British TV special highlighted by Steenkamp’s mother, June, bringing Pistorius’s character into question. A new trial date is set for August 19.
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 0
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 2
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)