Jun 14, 2013, 9:36 AM EDT
In not so surprising news, Oscar Pistorius has been left off the South African Paralympic team for the World Championships next month in France.
The once inspiring Olympic sprinter and Paralympian champion ruled out racing in 2013 back in May so he and his team could focus on his upcoming murder trial. Pistorus has admitted to shooting girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria on Valentine’s day of this year, but claims he though she was an intruder when he fired four shots through his bathroom door.
In spite of his claim, Pistorius has been charged with premeditated murder. His trial was set to start earlier this month, but was postponed by the prosecution at a June 4 hearing, during which court officials criticized the “trial by media” that included a British TV special highlighted by Steenkamp’s mother, June, bringing Pistorius’s character into question. A new trial date is set for August 19.
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 4
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 5
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)