Usain Bolt wins easy in Oslo, makes statement

Jun 13, 2013, 4:18 PM EST

Canadian Press Canadian Press

After his loss to Justin Gatlin in Rome last week, Jamaica’s Usain Bolt was looking for redemption and looking to make a statement with his 200m race in Oslo Thursday. He didn’t disappoint, breaking the tape in a meet record and 2013 world’s best 19.79 seconds, well clear of the pack.

“I’m not in as bad shape as I thought I was,” Bolt told reporters. “Overall it was a good run, I can’t complain. It’s sub 20… I could have done better.”

Norway’s Jaysuma Ndure finished in second on his home soil, clocking 20.36, and Great Britain’s James Ellington was third, coming in at 20.55.

Bolt, who ran a 200m world record 19.19 at the 2009 World Championships, likely could have won with a lackluster performance in Oslo’s cold and wet conditions Thursday, especially after his stiffest competition, Churandy Martina of Netherlands Antilles, was DQ’d for a false start. But Bolt gritted his teeth all the way through the finish, offering a display of effort rarely seen by Bolt, who’s faced questions of motivation since last week’s loss.

“I’m always confident in whatever I am doing,” he explained to the press earlier this week. “As long as my coach is not worried, I’m not worried, and my coach is not worried. So I’m definitely confident that I’ll be up to standard, that I’ll be able to perform to defend my titles.”

And because Bolt is ever the showman, he arrived to the track in a Forumla 1 car, did the running man and robot while waiting for the race to start, and gave fans exactly what they wanted: a win.

Latest Posts
  1. South Africa 2024 Olympic bid ‘unrealistic,’ official says

Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

South Africa flag Getty Images

IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.

2. Brittany Bowe sweeps at World Sprint Championships (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST

AP AP

Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.

3. Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined

Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn will get another chance on Monday.

4. Ronda Rousey defends UFC title in 14 seconds

Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST

Ronda Rousey AP

Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.

5. Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video)

Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.

6. Watch Rio Olympic Park transformation, timelapse videos

Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.

7. Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali’s team may lose license

Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST

AP AP

Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.

8. World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap

Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen Eaton AP

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.

9. IOC executive board proposes rule change for athletes, sponsors during Olympics

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”

10. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

11. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

12. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”

13. Duel in the Pool returns to U.S.

Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST

Duel in the Pool Getty Images

The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.

14. Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST

Pan American Games cauldron Getty Images

The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.

15. Former WNBA No. 1 draft pick switches from U.S. to Belarus

Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

Lindsey Harding Getty Images

The only NCAA Player of the Year winner since 1997 not to play for the U.S. at a Worlds or Olympics.

16. U.S. cross-country skiers share historic podium at World Championships (video)

Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Jessie Diggins, Caitlin Gregg Getty Images

Olympians nearly double the previous U.S. tally for World Championships medals.

17. Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion

Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

AP AP

Inside the locker room with the players and more.