Jun 12, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
After his only-somewhat-surprising loss to Justin Gatlin in the 100m at the Rome Diamond League meet last week, Usain Bolt has vowed to bounce back from the rare defeat when he runs the 200m at the Bislett Games in Oslo on Thursday.
“I’m feeling pretty good,” Bolt told reporters. “I think I’m in shape to run under 20 seconds. It’s all about the execution and getting it right.”
Bolt, who owns the 200m world record and eight of the fourteen fastest times in history, would be the first of the season to run a sub-20 if he can pull it off. His toughest competition will Churandy Martina of Netherlands, who finished fifth in London, and Olso local Jaysuma Saidy Ndure, who’s best time was 19.89 six years ago.
Bolt’s loss to Gatlin was his first since falling to Yohan Blake in the 100m and 200m finals at the Jamaican trials almost a year ago, and Bolt said Tuesday that it was nothing for his fans to worry about.
“I’m always confident in whatever I am doing,” Bolt explained to the Associated Press. “As long as my coach is not worried, I’m not worried, and my coach is not worried. So I’m definitely confident that I’ll be up to standard, that I’ll be able to perform to defend my titles.”
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)