Jun 12, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Despite Olympic champ Ted Ligety becoming the first man since 1968 to win three golds at the Alpine Ski World Championships, his career has been a bit overshadowed this year by both the injury and social life of fellow skier Lindsey Vonn.
And now, so has his drug test. While Vonn being surprised by USADA testers at the CFDA awards made the front page of every sports, gossip, and fashion site – this one included – Ligety is the only one reporting that he was similarly ambushed by testers after landing at the Utah airport Monday.
“They got me too,” Ligety wrote, seemingly to Lindsey, on his Facebook page Monday. “Tested in long term parking this morning at the airport.”
We hope he was at least afforded the opportunity to use a restroom when giving the testers a urine sample, but this photo out by a truck doesn’t suggest that reality. The good news: Ligety should soon be a household name after signing a sponsorship deal with Coca Cola to represent the brand in Sochi.
“To be associated with a company like Coke, you have to be among the best,” Ligety told USA Today. “They’re not going to pick the 20th fastest athlete in the world. I think that’s cool validation of what you’ve done in your sport and who you are as well… It’s just cool to see them recognizing that.”
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 1
- Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for Sochi after best comeback result (video) 1
- Jesse Owens’ gold medal goes for $1.4 million in auction 1
- Lindsey Vonn stronger in second comeback race (video) 3
- U.S. sweeps women’s bobsled in Park City (video) 3
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)