Jun 10, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
With a couple of Mike Krzyzewski’s former Team USA Basketball assistants choosing to focus on their respective NBA coaching careers – Mike D’Antoni is holding the Lakers together with Scotch tape while Nate McMillan is hunting for a job – Coach K had to dig into his rolodex for a new staff.
And apparently he’s elected to focus on defense for the lead up to the Rio Games: He’ll bring in Bulls helmer Tom Thibodeau and Pelican’s head coach Monty Williams to his bench that still includes Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim, who’s returning for his third Olympic cycle under Krzyzewski.
Their three-year coaching commitment starts with a July mini-camp in Vegas, where they’ll have a chance to work with “rising NBA stars” including, we assume, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, and maybe even DeMarcus Cousins, who USA Basketball CEO Jerry Colangelo said had a “some growing up to do” before he’d make an Olympics roster.
Team USA’s first real commitment is the 2014 FIFA World Cup of Basketball in Spain, home of the back-to-back Olympic silver medalists and Team USA’s top rival. If the U.S. wins there, they’d lock up their spot for the Rio Games. If not, they’d be forced to qualify through a tournament during the summer of 2015.
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)