Phelps not counting out comeback; happy to “no longer smell chlorine”

Jun 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT

Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports

Despite the rumors from top competitors and men in the know, swimming legend Michael Phelps has yet to dive in a pool competitively since London, and told a German paper Wednesday that he thinks top rival Ryan Lochte is trying to deflect some attention away from himself.

Phelps, of course, says he’s happy with the life of leisure he’s enjoyed since London, and he’s happy to “no longer smell chlorine,” but he still won’t entirely count out a comeback.

“All I can say: I am very happy with my current life, I enjoy my retirement, I enjoy playing golf.” Phelps explained (with some help from Google Translate). “I will be still be seen at the edge of the pool at the World Championships and I will of course watch Rio 2016. Will I come back? I do not know. It is a matter of time. At the moment, I’m happy the way it is.”

Phelps also admitted that his “belly” wasn’t quite the same as when he was training, since he apparently has a sweet tooth, and added that mastering golf was even harder for him than swimming.

“Golf is one of the hardest sports I’ve ever done. It’s still frustrating… I know now what I am doing wrong and what I should change, in theory. I want to be good. Golf is my new challenge.”

Phelps’s golf coach, Hank Haney said Tuesday that Phelps has come a long way since they worked together for a Golf Channel reality show earlier this year, and that he’s confident that the swimmer will do well when he tees off at the American Century Championship Celebrity Pro-Am in Tahoe next month.

“He’s a proven golfer,” Haney told reporters. “When we started our show he was pretty much a beginner, and then he just jumped right out and played in the pro-am for The Ryder Cup…

“I think he’ll hit some good shots. I think he’ll hit some bad shots. But I think overall, I think he’s going to do pretty good. He’s a passionate golfer. It’s just great to have him in the game of golf.”

Latest Posts
  1. Ryan Lochte inspired by Michael Phelps’ return (video)

Apr 23, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Lochte said he almost didn’t come back to swimming after knee injury.

2. Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet

Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps says he gained 30 pounds in retirement but has shed most of it in training.

3. Michael Phelps no longer sponsored by Speedo

Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps’ contract with Speedo ran out at the end of 2013 after a 12-year run.

4. Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix

Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT

Michael Phelps, Michael Andrew Courtesy Tina Andrew

Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.

5. Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules

Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.

6. Meb Keflezighi congratulated by President Obama

Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.

7. Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi

Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT

Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi AP

Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.

8. Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski added to NBC’s Kentucky Derby coverage

Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.

9. Apolo Ohno plans to do Ironman World Championships

Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

Apolo Anton Ohno AP

Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.

10. Lance Armstrong’s longtime team manager banned 10 years

Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT

Johan Bruyneel AP

Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.

11. Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Boston Strong AP

“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.

12. Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video)

Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.

13. 2014 Boston Marathon highlights: American Meb Keflezighi, Kenya’s Rita Jeptoo win (VIDEO)

Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

2014 B.A.A. Boston Marathon Getty Images

Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…

14. Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record

Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.

15. Tatyana McFadden wins another Boston Marathon on special day

Apr 21, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

Tatyana McFadden AP

Paralympic champion prevails one month after winning silver in Sochi.

16. Security heightened early at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Double the police presence from last year.

17. Tedy Bruschi, retired NFL player, running Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT

Tedy Bruschi Getty Images

Former linebacker ran in 2012 and saw the first bomb from a hotel last year.

18. Boston Marathon starts after moment of silence

Apr 21, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT

Boston Strong

Race starts by honoring those lost and those who saved at last year’s race.

19. Boston Marathon finish line web cam available online

Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Boston Marathon finish line Getty Images

Watch every runner cross the finish line on Monday.

20. Ryan Hall returns to marathon racing in Boston, by way of Ethiopia

Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT

Ryan Hall Getty Images

Two-time Olympian hasn’t run a marathon since the London Games.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback