Phelps not counting out comeback; happy to “no longer smell chlorine”

Jun 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT

Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports

Despite the rumors from top competitors and men in the know, swimming legend Michael Phelps has yet to dive in a pool competitively since London, and told a German paper Wednesday that he thinks top rival Ryan Lochte is trying to deflect some attention away from himself.

Phelps, of course, says he’s happy with the life of leisure he’s enjoyed since London, and he’s happy to “no longer smell chlorine,” but he still won’t entirely count out a comeback.

“All I can say: I am very happy with my current life, I enjoy my retirement, I enjoy playing golf.” Phelps explained (with some help from Google Translate). “I will be still be seen at the edge of the pool at the World Championships and I will of course watch Rio 2016. Will I come back? I do not know. It is a matter of time. At the moment, I’m happy the way it is.”

Phelps also admitted that his “belly” wasn’t quite the same as when he was training, since he apparently has a sweet tooth, and added that mastering golf was even harder for him than swimming.

“Golf is one of the hardest sports I’ve ever done. It’s still frustrating… I know now what I am doing wrong and what I should change, in theory. I want to be good. Golf is my new challenge.”

Phelps’s golf coach, Hank Haney said Tuesday that Phelps has come a long way since they worked together for a Golf Channel reality show earlier this year, and that he’s confident that the swimmer will do well when he tees off at the American Century Championship Celebrity Pro-Am in Tahoe next month.

“He’s a proven golfer,” Haney told reporters. “When we started our show he was pretty much a beginner, and then he just jumped right out and played in the pro-am for The Ryder Cup…

“I think he’ll hit some good shots. I think he’ll hit some bad shots. But I think overall, I think he’s going to do pretty good. He’s a passionate golfer. It’s just great to have him in the game of golf.”

Latest Posts
  1. Will Abby Wambach play in Rio?

Jul 6, 2015, 4:08 PM EDT

Abby Wambach Abby Wambach

After finally becoming World Cup champion, Wambach is unsure about her Olympic future.

2. Rory McIlroy ruptures ankle ligment

Jul 6, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT

U.S. Open - Final Round Getty Images

An injury to the world’s top-ranked golfer could threaten his qualification status for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

3. U.S. Women undefeated after opening of indoor volleyball Grand Prix tournament

Jul 5, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Volleyball: USA vs Italy Volleyball: USA vs Italy

Looking for their sixth Grand Prix title, the U.S. Women’s National Volleyball Team ended the weekend with three straight wins.

4. Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 5, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT

150705_BeachVolleyball Getty Images

Brazilian teams finished on top of the podium in both the men’s and women’s finals.

5. Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League

Jul 4, 2015, 6:57 PM EDT

ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA

The two claimed victory in the men’s and women’s 100 meters, while American Evan Jager came heartbreakingly close to making history in the steeplechase.

6. 2012 Olympic 4x100m relay medals officially reallocated after U.S. team stripped of silver

Jul 4, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

Trinidad and Tobago have been upgraded to silver and France to bronze.

7. Bicycle fall takes swimmer Kosuke Hagino out of Worlds

Jul 4, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Kosuke Hagino Kosuke Hagino

The Japanese swimmer confirmed that his right elbow is fractured.

8. Nick Lucena and Theo Brunner final American team in Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 3, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT

AVP Championships at Huntington Beach AVP Championships at Huntington Beach

Three of the four remaining American teams were knocked out in the quarterfinal rounds. Lucena and Brunner will face the Brazilians in semifinals on Saturday.

9. Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London

Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a

In an interview before the July 4th stop of the Road to Rio tour before Philadelphia, the Olympic wrestler explained how his age has become an advantage.

10. Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled

Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Screen shot 2015-07-03 at 11.35.56 AM

The torch will begin in the capital city of Brasilia, passing through a planned 500 cities before reaching Maracana Stadium in Rio for the Opening Ceremony.

11. Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds

Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

150704_AllysonFelix Getty Images

Won’t face Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who will forgo 200 meters to focus on 100.

12. Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships

Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

Comments Off on Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships
    Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me

A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.

13. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross historically dominant at World Championships

Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.

14. USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’

Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Boston 2024

“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”

15. Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets

Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.

16. Brazil’s president offers Barack Obama ‘standing invitation’ to Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

AP AP

Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.

17. Simon Shnapir retires from figure skating

Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.

18. Missy Franklin named top NCAA female athlete

Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.

19. Cristiano Ronaldo ‘a possibility’ for Rio 2016 Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images

Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.