Phelps not counting out comeback; happy to “no longer smell chlorine”

Jun 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT

Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports

Despite the rumors from top competitors and men in the know, swimming legend Michael Phelps has yet to dive in a pool competitively since London, and told a German paper Wednesday that he thinks top rival Ryan Lochte is trying to deflect some attention away from himself.

Phelps, of course, says he’s happy with the life of leisure he’s enjoyed since London, and he’s happy to “no longer smell chlorine,” but he still won’t entirely count out a comeback.

“All I can say: I am very happy with my current life, I enjoy my retirement, I enjoy playing golf.” Phelps explained (with some help from Google Translate). “I will be still be seen at the edge of the pool at the World Championships and I will of course watch Rio 2016. Will I come back? I do not know. It is a matter of time. At the moment, I’m happy the way it is.”

Phelps also admitted that his “belly” wasn’t quite the same as when he was training, since he apparently has a sweet tooth, and added that mastering golf was even harder for him than swimming.

“Golf is one of the hardest sports I’ve ever done. It’s still frustrating… I know now what I am doing wrong and what I should change, in theory. I want to be good. Golf is my new challenge.”

Phelps’s golf coach, Hank Haney said Tuesday that Phelps has come a long way since they worked together for a Golf Channel reality show earlier this year, and that he’s confident that the swimmer will do well when he tees off at the American Century Championship Celebrity Pro-Am in Tahoe next month.

“He’s a proven golfer,” Haney told reporters. “When we started our show he was pretty much a beginner, and then he just jumped right out and played in the pro-am for The Ryder Cup…

“I think he’ll hit some good shots. I think he’ll hit some bad shots. But I think overall, I think he’s going to do pretty good. He’s a passionate golfer. It’s just great to have him in the game of golf.”

Latest Posts
  1. IPC Sled Hockey World Championship starts Sunday; full broadcast schedule

Apr 25, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Sled Hockey Getty Images

The U.S.’ first opponent marks a rematch of the Sochi gold-medal game.

2. Kirani James breaks Michael Johnson record at Drake Relays

Apr 25, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT

Kirani James AP

Only two men have ever run faster this early in the season.

3. Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react

Apr 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT

AP AP

Jenner explained how he felt different while winning the decathlon at the Montreal 1976 Olympics.

4. Watch Drake Relays, Penn Relays on NBC Sports Live Extra on Saturday

Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Several Olympic champions are in the fields at the two meets.

5. Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman

Apr 24, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps has followed Bowman to an NCAA stop before.

6. Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more

Apr 24, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles is in the middle of a four-month break from competition.

7. Sled hockey helps Josh Sweeney in his recovery (video)

Apr 24, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney Getty Images

Sweeney and Team USA begin World Championship play Sunday.

8. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir headed to White House Correspondents’ Dinner, Kentucky Derby

Apr 24, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

NBC’s figure skating analysts will be visible daily during Kentucky Derby week.

9. New MLB commissioner wants long-term baseball pledge from Olympics

Apr 23, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

AP AP

But he also shares the sentiment of Bud Selig on MLB participation.

10. Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’

Apr 23, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Doug E. Doug Getty Images

Doug wasn’t allowed to bobsled while filming, but he recently took his first run.

11. Meb Keflezighi hopes to be an example for Ryan Hall as Olympic trials approach

Apr 23, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT

AP AP

“It depends who you ask,” Keflezighi said of the U.S. Olympic Trials favorite.

12. U.S. Olympic Wrestling Trials to return to Iowa City

Apr 23, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT

Jordan Burroughs Getty Images

Two Olympic champions appear headed for a second Olympics, while a World champion seeks a first Olympic berth.

13. Paul Wylie ‘resting comfortably’ after heart problem

Apr 22, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT

Paul Wylie Getty Images

Wylie had a “heart abnormality while exercising,” his wife said.

14. Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men

Apr 22, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Nadia Comaneci Getty Images

Comaneci, the subject of a Katie Holmes-directed documentary, discussed current gymnastics topics.

15. Larry Bird, David Ortiz among Boston 2024 board of directors

Apr 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT

Larry Bird Getty Images

U.S. Olympic marathon and figure skating medalists are also in the group.

16. Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016

Apr 22, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT

Arthur Zanetti Getty Images

Included are some potential U.S.-Brazil duels.

17. Sweden mulls 2026 Winter Olympic bid

Apr 22, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Sweden Getty Images

Sweden scrapped a bid for 2022, and a joint Norway-Sweden bid has also been proposed.

18. Figure skaters recall odd gifts from fans

Apr 21, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Figure skating gifts Getty Images

Michelle Kwan, Meryl Davis, Evan Lysacek and more Olympians tell their memorable stories.