Phelps not counting out comeback; happy to “no longer smell chlorine”

Jun 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT

Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports

Despite the rumors from top competitors and men in the know, swimming legend Michael Phelps has yet to dive in a pool competitively since London, and told a German paper Wednesday that he thinks top rival Ryan Lochte is trying to deflect some attention away from himself.

Phelps, of course, says he’s happy with the life of leisure he’s enjoyed since London, and he’s happy to “no longer smell chlorine,” but he still won’t entirely count out a comeback.

“All I can say: I am very happy with my current life, I enjoy my retirement, I enjoy playing golf.” Phelps explained (with some help from Google Translate). “I will be still be seen at the edge of the pool at the World Championships and I will of course watch Rio 2016. Will I come back? I do not know. It is a matter of time. At the moment, I’m happy the way it is.”

Phelps also admitted that his “belly” wasn’t quite the same as when he was training, since he apparently has a sweet tooth, and added that mastering golf was even harder for him than swimming.

“Golf is one of the hardest sports I’ve ever done. It’s still frustrating… I know now what I am doing wrong and what I should change, in theory. I want to be good. Golf is my new challenge.”

Phelps’s golf coach, Hank Haney said Tuesday that Phelps has come a long way since they worked together for a Golf Channel reality show earlier this year, and that he’s confident that the swimmer will do well when he tees off at the American Century Championship Celebrity Pro-Am in Tahoe next month.

“He’s a proven golfer,” Haney told reporters. “When we started our show he was pretty much a beginner, and then he just jumped right out and played in the pro-am for The Ryder Cup…

“I think he’ll hit some good shots. I think he’ll hit some bad shots. But I think overall, I think he’s going to do pretty good. He’s a passionate golfer. It’s just great to have him in the game of golf.”

Latest Posts
  1. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

2. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

3. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

4. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

5. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

6. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

7. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.

8. Abby Wambach ‘planning on playing’ in Rio, ‘still need time to decide’

Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.

9. Markus Rehm, German amputee long jumper, left off World Championships team

Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT

AP AP

Rehm has the best long jump by a German this year, but he may have a competitive advantage.

10. Inbee Park criticizes Olympic golf qualifying procedures

Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”

11. IOC president: Boston 2024 didn’t deliver on promises to USOC

Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

AP AP

“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”

12. Russia basketball says it’s suspended by FIBA

Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Its Olympic qualifying tournament is in less than two months.

13. Yuna Kim: About 90 percent of my career was hardship

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Watch Kim play badminton with Michelle Kwan.

14. No decision made on Bode Miller’s status, agent says

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Miller said June 15 he could ski a partial 2015-16 season, and a report last week cited Miller saying he would take at least one year off.

15. IOC president confident U.S. will still bid for 2024 Olympics

Jul 28, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT

AP AP

One city’s mayor is open to discussions.

16. Jonathan Horton splashes out on American Ninja Warrior (video)

Jul 28, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT

Jonathan Horton

Horton impressively scaled the warped wall, which is about three times his height.

17. Jessica Ennis-Hill will compete at World Championships

Jul 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The British Olympic heptathlon champion will compete at a global championship for the first time since the London Games.

18. South Sudan set for Olympic recognition

Jul 28, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A South Sudanese marathon runner competed under a different flag at London 2012.