May 28, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
Roller Sports’s History: Run by the International Federation of Roller Sports, which was founded back in 1924. FIRS oversees everything from inline speed skating to rink hockey, artistic roller skating, and some versions of roller derby. This is roller sport’s third consecutive Olympic presentation in front of the IOC.
Notable Stats: Racers have reached speeds of up to 37 mph in competition, and more than 100 countries skated at the worlds in Italy last year, with 17 nations heading home with medals.
The Pitch: The above video does a great job explaining, but the incredible popularity of winter speed skating is what really helps the bid for roller sports, which would include ten races from 300 meters to 15k. It’s already included in the Pan Am Games and is considered a “fresh and young” sport that’s great for spectators both live and at home. The problem: a unique venue for only three days of competition.
The Odds: 15 to 1. Probably gets better odds if roller derby is in there. It’s unlikely to ultimately beat out the more popular sports like wrestling and squash, but it wouldn’t be a total surprise to see roller sports make Wednesday’s short list since it’s the sport’s third consecutive bid.
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)