May 26, 2013, 8:49 AM EST
It was an unseasonably ugly day at the Adidas Grand Prix on New York’s Randall Island Saturday, with rain, wind, and cold temperatures slowing times all over the track. But American record holder Tyson Gay still somehow shined, winning the 100m and staying healthy, too.
Gay clocked 10.02-seconds into a headwind to dominate the competition, even though it was well off his 2013 world’s best of 9.86, which he ran down in Jamaica after replacing Bolt at the Kingston Invitational a few weeks ago.
“I’m happy with that,” Gay, the 2007 100m world champ said after the race. “I didn’t try to push myself too hard in these conditions.”
Portland native and London fifth place finisher Ryan Bailey ran 10.15 seconds, his best of the season, to take second in Saturday’s race, and Trinidad’s Keston Bledman rounded out the podium.
Gay, 31, the second fastest man in history after running 9.69 at the 2009 Shanghai Golden Grand Prix, has dealt with plenty of setbacks since his world title sprint, including being knocked out of the Beijing 200m with a hamstring injury, and nagging groin and hip injury that kept him out of competition.
But after finishing fourth in London and finally securing an Olympic medal when he led the U.S. to silver in the 4x100m, Gay seems to be the healthiest he has in years, and might be ready to challenge Usain Bolt.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:03 PM EST
Canada hasn’t been that high since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:03 PM EST
A first for the U.S. in 20 years.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST
But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST
How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?
Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)