May 21, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
In news that would be much easier to report if I spoke another language, two-time London Olympics swimming champ Yannick Agnel is leaving his coach and training facility in Nice, France and will move to Baltimore to train with Michael Phelps’s longtime coach Bob Bowman.
The young Frenchman announced at a press conference Tuesday that after reaching his breaking point with coach Fabrice Pellerin, Agnel met with Bowman at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs where his North Baltimore Aquatic Club was training, and the two decided to work together through the Rio Games.
And according to L’Equipe, the move was apparently spearheaded by the French Swimming Federation, which convinced Bowman to take Agnel as his pupil after Phelps officially retired following London.
Agnel, only 20, will join six-time Olympic medalist Allison Schmitt under Bowman’s tutelage in Baltimore. Agnel has already ruled out swimming in any individual events at this year’s Worlds in Barcelona after a disappointing European Championships, but will take part in the relay.
Not sure what this means for Michael Phelps rumors, but it sounds like a great situation for Agnel.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)