May 17, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
In addition to Olympic champs like Shaun White, Lindsey Vonn, and Evan Lysacek all prepping for the Sochi Games next February, a couple other familiar faces are getting ready to compete as well: Mario the plumber and Sonic the hedgehog.
Nintendo Global president Satoru Itawa announced Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Friday during a Nintendo Direct presentation. The game, which is fourth of a series that also includes Beijing, Vancouver, and London, is being developed for the new Wii U.
“The graphics are enhanced in comparison to earlier games in the series,” Itawa said. “The characters are detailed and environment effects such as snow and ice are realistically presented.
“In addition to returning events such as skiing and snowboarding, we have added figure skating pairs, and an event that is new for the 2014 Sochi WInter Games: snowboarding slopestyle.”
You’ll also be able to compete against friends in curling, ice hockey, downhill, ski jump, speed skating, the biathlon, and a “dream event” that basically combines Mario Kart with snowboarding and bobsled.
No word from Itawa on a release date, but as an official Olympics game, you’ll certainly be able to play it before the Opening Ceremony. Check out these screengrabs from today’s presentation:
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)