May 17, 2013, 1:09 PM EST
After the Iranian national wrestling team put a 6-1 whooping on the U.S. at Wednesday’s “Rumble on the Rails” at New York’s historic Grand Central Station, the two teams were preparing to square off again in Los Angeles Sunday as part of the “United 4 Wrestling” event to help save the sport.
But USA Wrestling got word Friday morning that Iran’s schedule had changed, and that the team had to head back home immediately. No further details were given. But fear not: The event will go on with the U.S., Russian, and Canadian teams meeting up and throwing down at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.
Meanwhile in Moscow… FILA, the sport’s governing body, will meet Saturday in to discuss possible leadership and rules changes ahead of the IOC executive board’s vote on May 29 that will determine which of the eight elective sports moves on for a final vote in Buenos Aires on Sept. 7.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)