May 17, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
After the Iranian national wrestling team put a 6-1 whooping on the U.S. at Wednesday’s “Rumble on the Rails” at New York’s historic Grand Central Station, the two teams were preparing to square off again in Los Angeles Sunday as part of the “United 4 Wrestling” event to help save the sport.
But USA Wrestling got word Friday morning that Iran’s schedule had changed, and that the team had to head back home immediately. No further details were given. But fear not: The event will go on with the U.S., Russian, and Canadian teams meeting up and throwing down at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.
Meanwhile in Moscow… FILA, the sport’s governing body, will meet Saturday in to discuss possible leadership and rules changes ahead of the IOC executive board’s vote on May 29 that will determine which of the eight elective sports moves on for a final vote in Buenos Aires on Sept. 7.
- Tatyana McFadden claims surprise Paralympic silver medal 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ bathroom door, cricket bat appear at murder trial 0
- Maria Hoefl-Riesch crashes in World Cup Finals downhill 0
- Ted Ligety stuns in World Cup Finals downhill; new overall leader 0
- Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals preview 0
- President Obama sends beer to Canadian prime minister to settle Olympic bet 2
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0