May 17, 2013, 1:09 PM EST
After the Iranian national wrestling team put a 6-1 whooping on the U.S. at Wednesday’s “Rumble on the Rails” at New York’s historic Grand Central Station, the two teams were preparing to square off again in Los Angeles Sunday as part of the “United 4 Wrestling” event to help save the sport.
But USA Wrestling got word Friday morning that Iran’s schedule had changed, and that the team had to head back home immediately. No further details were given. But fear not: The event will go on with the U.S., Russian, and Canadian teams meeting up and throwing down at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.
Meanwhile in Moscow… FILA, the sport’s governing body, will meet Saturday in to discuss possible leadership and rules changes ahead of the IOC executive board’s vote on May 29 that will determine which of the eight elective sports moves on for a final vote in Buenos Aires on Sept. 7.
- Lindsey Vonn’s knee feels ‘stable’ after downhill training run 0
- U.S. Snowboarding unveils ‘heirloom hippie’ Sochi Olympic uniforms (photos) 3
- Grand Prix Final offers glimpse at Olympic figure skating picture 0
- Lindsey Vonn set for Wednesday training run in Lake Louise 0
- USOC will focus on 2024 Olympic bid after Sochi Games 0
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)