May 17, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Amateur International Boxing Associating president C.K. Wu of Taiwan has also apparently thrown his hat into the ring in hopes of becoming the next IOC president when current leader Jacques Rogge’s tenure is up this September.
“Dr Wu handed over a letter this morning to Dr Rogge informing him about his candidacy,” a source explained to Reuters Friday. “He will announce it officially next Thursday.”
Wu, 66, an architect by trade, took over and cleaned up the AIBA in 2006 after controversies during the 2004 Athens Games led to the IOC withholding funds from the organization.
He’s served as an IOC member for 25 years, as an executive board member for one, and is credited with a successful Olympic boxing tournament in London, which saw women compete for the first time.
Wu joins IOC VPs Thomas Bach of Germany and Ng Ser Miang of Singapore, who’ve each made public declarations of their candidacy. The group is expected to be joined by IOC Finance Commission chair Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico, and IIHF president Rene Fasel of Switzerland, among others.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
USA Swimming Olympic Trials time standards reveal Ledecky’s greatness.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Board already included former NFL commissioner.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Doug Ulman calls last two years “most stressful” period of his life.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
London Games voted No. 1 overall.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
Ledecky broke five world records in two months this year.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
- Katie Ledecky would qualify for Olympic Trials in men’s events 0
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)