May 16, 2013, 9:48 AM EST
Just ahead of Jordan Burroughs match against Russia’s Saba Khubetzhty, which Burroughs won to go 53-0 in his international career, the London Olympic 74kg champ chatted with NBC’s Jimmy Roberts about what events like “Rumble on the Rails” mean amid the effort to save Olympic wrestling.
“Huge events like this are awesome. I think we don’t gain a lot of notoriety or exposure from American media, so I think today is a great day for the sport of wrestling. We got some high flying matches, some entertainment. We just need to add a little bit of flair… kind of with an MMA style to it.”
The U.S. fell to world No. 1 Iran 6-1 early in the day, but routed the Russians 8-1, as international wrestling fans and celebrities showed up en masse to support wrestling’s bid to remain in the Games.
- Oscar Pistorius said ‘everything is fine’ to security calling about gunshot reports (video) 0
- Ukraine may leave Sochi Paralympics if situation escalates 0
- Five Paralympic storylines to watch in Sochi 2
- Mikaela Shiffrin takes 15th in first post-Olympic race 1
- Oscar Pistorius tried to revive girlfriend after shooting, witness recounts (video) 2
- Shannon Szabados: Oilers welcomed me with open arms (video) 1
- Adelina Sotnikova listed as substitute for World Championships; entry list highlights 3