May 13, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
You there. You will likely never win an Olympic gold medal. Because very few are awarded each year, and to earn the ones that are, you’re probably forced to go up against the likes of Michael Phelps.
But, good news: You, yes you, can purchase your very own 1952 Helsinki gold medal for the low “Buy It Now” eBay price of $25,000. And shipping is free.
Swimming legend Ford Konno is putting a couple of his own medals up for sale, due to the fact that he’s 79 and he’s now ready to pass them on.
Konno, a hall of famer out of Honolulu who once owned two world records, took home gold in the 1500m in Helsinki while shattering the Olympic record by 42 seconds. He won another gold for the 4x200m free relay, earned silver in the 400m free, and added a relay silver in Melbourne.
All are available, and you might even get a discount if you buy two.
Also available for purchase: Konno’s 12 National AAU, 6 NCAA medals, 4 Big Ten medals, 14 medals won while competing in Japan, and 9 others, none of which he earned for participation, kids.
The seller, listed only as dankyboy from Honolulu, is also asking if whomever is willing to put up the cash for Mr. Konno’s medals might also be willing to donate them to the Japanese-American wing of the Smithsonian. So who’s got $25,000 to spare?
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)