May 13, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
You there. You will likely never win an Olympic gold medal. Because very few are awarded each year, and to earn the ones that are, you’re probably forced to go up against the likes of Michael Phelps.
But, good news: You, yes you, can purchase your very own 1952 Helsinki gold medal for the low “Buy It Now” eBay price of $25,000. And shipping is free.
Swimming legend Ford Konno is putting a couple of his own medals up for sale, due to the fact that he’s 79 and he’s now ready to pass them on.
Konno, a hall of famer out of Honolulu who once owned two world records, took home gold in the 1500m in Helsinki while shattering the Olympic record by 42 seconds. He won another gold for the 4x200m free relay, earned silver in the 400m free, and added a relay silver in Melbourne.
All are available, and you might even get a discount if you buy two.
Also available for purchase: Konno’s 12 National AAU, 6 NCAA medals, 4 Big Ten medals, 14 medals won while competing in Japan, and 9 others, none of which he earned for participation, kids.
The seller, listed only as dankyboy from Honolulu, is also asking if whomever is willing to put up the cash for Mr. Konno’s medals might also be willing to donate them to the Japanese-American wing of the Smithsonian. So who’s got $25,000 to spare?
- Michael Phelps beaten by Ryan Lochte in first final of comeback 0
- Lolo Jones sheds weight, returns to track at Drake Relays 0
- Michael Phelps wins his first preliminary race since London Olympics 0
- Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet 0
- Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix 0
- Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules 0
- Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)