May 13, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
In the wake of last month’s bombings at the Boston Marathon, Brazilian authorities are promising a special effort to secure Rio for the upcoming World Cup in 2014 and for the Olympics in 2016.
“We are confident in the excellent quality of the security planning for the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games and we continue to work in close partnership with the federal, state, and city governments to deliver this,” Rio Games President Carlos Arthur Nuzman told the Epoch Times.
“We are fully confident that the 2016 Games, and the test events preceding them, will take place in a safe and enjoyable atmosphere.”
The Ministry of Tourism is estimating they’ll welcome about one million foreign tourists to Rio between the two events, and added Monday that increasing the number of Pacifying Police Units, which have helped them reclaim gang territories in the favelas, are an important part of their new model for safety.
- U.S. 400m runner Torrin Lawrence dies in car accident 0
- Brazil’s Olympic coach wants Neymar to play at Rio 2016 0
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow, says he’s injury free 0
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)