May 13, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
Leave it to the Americans to show up Usain Bolt and the Jamaicans early in the season:
After London fourth place finisher Tyson Gay sprinted to a world’s best 100m time of 9.86-seconds at the Kingston Invite last weekend, where he was a replacement for Bolt who pulled out of the race with a hamstring strain, Athens 100m champ Justin Gatlin ran 9.97-seconds to win the Diamond League meet in Doha despite suffering from an illness or two.
“I was feeling under the weather coming into the competition,” Gatlin told the AP. “I had a fever, found out I had a sinus infection. I still wanted to come here and thought I would be ready. I was ready at the last second.”
Meanwhile, Bolt opened his season with a 10.09 at the Cayman last week, his slowest finals time on the senior circuit, but had enough in the tank to edge out compatriot Kemar Bailey-Cole in a photo finish. Of course, as self-described “seasoned vet,” Gatlin, knows better than to put much stock in his time.
“It is going to be a long season,” Gatlin said. “It is about the person who can pace themselves who can have those fast times crossing the finish line at the finals.”
And for the last five years, that person has been from Jamaica.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
London Games voted No. 1 overall.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
Ledecky broke five world records in two months this year.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)