May 10, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
Missy Franklin turns 18 Friday, which means she’s accomplished more in her childhood than most of us will achieve in our entire adult lives. In honor of her birthday we thought we’d dig up 18 fun facts about her you that might not know.
Then we found out that is a road well traveled.
There’s 25 facts about her here, 10 facts over here, and yes, even 18 facts here, which we feel were tallied a bit prematurely. There are dozens and dozens (and dozens) of fun facts about Missy Franklin. Some highlights from these lists include that her car is a Toyota 4 Runner named Blake, she loves dim sum, she has a crush/is in a mutual adoration society with Justin Bieber, and she’s actually Canadian – kind of.
But here’s what you really need to know: Franklin is as charismatic a personality as she is a gifted athlete. In the pool, she dominated the competition, winning five medals, including four gold, en route to leading the U.S. women’s swim team to an incredible showing in London. Outside of the pool, she charmed the socks off of the world with her ebullient yet grounded personality. Also, her parents are pretty great.
Next up for Franklin is college. She turned down the option of going pro and will instead head to Cal Berkeley, where she’ll probably lead the Golden Bears to a victory here and there before she leaves to being training for Rio. And when that comes around, the world will once again train its attention on her — to see what she does in the pool, and the cool grace with which she does it.
By then she’ll be 21 — the perfect chance for a 21 Fun Facts about Missy Franklin post.
- John Orozco’s mom on his mind as he leads P&G Championships 0
- Bond between Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles 0
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 3
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)