May 10, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Missy Franklin turns 18 Friday, which means she’s accomplished more in her childhood than most of us will achieve in our entire adult lives. In honor of her birthday we thought we’d dig up 18 fun facts about her you that might not know.
Then we found out that is a road well traveled.
There’s 25 facts about her here, 10 facts over here, and yes, even 18 facts here, which we feel were tallied a bit prematurely. There are dozens and dozens (and dozens) of fun facts about Missy Franklin. Some highlights from these lists include that her car is a Toyota 4 Runner named Blake, she loves dim sum, she has a crush/is in a mutual adoration society with Justin Bieber, and she’s actually Canadian – kind of.
But here’s what you really need to know: Franklin is as charismatic a personality as she is a gifted athlete. In the pool, she dominated the competition, winning five medals, including four gold, en route to leading the U.S. women’s swim team to an incredible showing in London. Outside of the pool, she charmed the socks off of the world with her ebullient yet grounded personality. Also, her parents are pretty great.
Next up for Franklin is college. She turned down the option of going pro and will instead head to Cal Berkeley, where she’ll probably lead the Golden Bears to a victory here and there before she leaves to being training for Rio. And when that comes around, the world will once again train its attention on her — to see what she does in the pool, and the cool grace with which she does it.
By then she’ll be 21 — the perfect chance for a 21 Fun Facts about Missy Franklin post.
- U.S. wins 3 medals on first day of Sochi Paralympics 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin captures slalom title, inspired by girl with leukemia 0
- Ted Ligety wins first post-Olympic race, notches World Cup first 0
- President Obama yet to deliver after losing Olympic beer bet 1
- Shannon Szabados joins men’s pro hockey team 0
- Oscar Pistorius said ‘everything is fine’ to security calling about gunshot reports (video) 0
- Ukraine may leave Sochi Paralympics if situation escalates 0