May 9, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
Anyone expecting to be dazzled by Usain Bolt this early in the season was probably asking too much, especially after he pulled out of last week’s Kingston Invitational with a hamstring strain.
But clocking 10.09-seconds in the 100m to win the Cayman Invitational was still disappointing, and barely beating young training partner Kemar Bailey-Cole in a photo-finish didn’t help.
“I just did not feel the power from the blocks and when I got to 50m it wasn’t the normal race,” Bolt admitted. “It was just a bad race. I have to go back and figure out with my coach what went wrong.”
Bolt, who was once again sluggish out of the blocks Wednesday, seems to know how to turn it on when it counts. He did the same last year, running an unimpressive 10.04 in Ostrava and then losing twice to compatriot Yohan Blake at the Jamaican track trials before once again blowing away the field for three golds at the Olympics.
“It was good to get a win but now it’s time to go back to the drawing board.”
And he’ll probably have it all figured out by the World Championships in Moscow later this year, but if not, we’re sure Tyson Gay would be happy to bring the 2013 title home to the U.S.
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)