May 6, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
“In a crowd, he’s so modest and humble. He doesn’t stand out.” If I gave you nineteen guesses I’m not sure you’d come within a thousand miles of saying that quote was about brash world record holder Usain Bolt, who – and it’s a credit to his talent – spends more time posing than actually running.
Today, he’s driving around in a gold Nissan Gt-R, personalized with a license plate that reads “Mr. Bolt.” But nine years ago, he was just a shy kid celebrating his seventeenth birthday in Paris. Check out the Trans World Sport profile of the world’s fastest man back when he was simply the world’s fastest boy.
- Dara Torres picks greatest female swimmer(s) of all time, recalls teenage Michael Phelps, more in Q&A 1
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross withdraw from Moscow Grand Slam 0
- Prefontaine Classic preview, schedule, broadcast info 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder, forfeits match 0
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 1
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)