May 6, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
It’s been almost a year since David Boudia won his somewhat surprising 10m platform gold in London, but the two-time Olympic medalist said he’s ready to get back in the water at the AT&T USA Diving Grand Prix this weekend. Well, not entirely ready.
“I’m probably at sixty-percent, but I’m okay with that,” Boudia confessed to Purdue Sports.
“I’m not looking to go in there and sweep away everything in the competition, but I’m going in there like the Olympic Games: to just go in, dive how I’ve prepared, and hopefully walk away with some learning experience again.”
Boudia, who admitted he was a bit nervous about returning to competition, hasn’t really been far from the pool during his layoff. Instead, he’s been helping the celebrities of ABC’s Splash become pro divers in their own right.
“It was cool to see what the celebrities did in the ten weeks they had to prepare. It shows how brutal this sport is, how hard it is, and that not everyone can just get up there and go and look like an Olympian.”
Boudia said he’s using the Florida meet as a tuneup for the USA Diving World Championships Trials in Tallahassee next week, as he aims to earn a spot at worlds in Barcelona this summer. If he qualifies, it’s expected to be his only other event on the calendar in 2013.
Check out the full interview here:
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)