May 3, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Vancouver downhill gold medalist Lindsey Vonn has apparently “dumped” her knee brace and said Thursday that she’ll be back on the slopes in by late summer, giving her plenty of time to train for the Alpine season and Sochi in February.
“I’m still in rehab, things are going really well. The knee is coming along quite nicely. But I should start skiing in September and everything’s right on track for the Olympics in February…” Vonn told E! at the Delete Blood Cancer Gala in New York.
“I just dumped the brace. This is my first trip without the brace, so I’m really excited. But, unfortunately my doctor wants me to ski with it for a while, so still gonna be difficult. I can’t get rid of it entirely, unfortunately.”
Vonn, who was spotted in her brace in the galleries of the Masters last month, was without boyfriend and world No. 1 golfer Tiger Woods at the gala for an obvious reason: “He’s practicing.”
- President Obama sends beer to Canadian prime minister to settle Olympic bet 1
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0
- Oscar Pistorius vomits, cries during autopsy testimony 1
- Yuna Kim to skate in ‘retirement event’ 0
- More U.S. Paralympians crash in Alpine skiing 0
- U.S., Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce star to end World Indoor Championships 0
- U.S. speed skaters excel at first post-Olympic World Cup 0