May 1, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
London silver medal discus thrower Darya Pishchalnikova has been banned for ten years and stripped of her medal by the Russian Track and Field Association after she was caught doping.
Pishchalnikova, 27, tested positive for Oxandrolone in the retest of an out-of-competition sample taken last May. The sample originally came back clean, but was reexamined by the World Anti-doping Agency with more sophisticated methods recently, and found to be tainted.
The ten year suspension actually could have been worse, since she was facing a lifetime ban after serving a two-year suspension between 2007-09 that eliminated her from competing in the Beijing Games.
China’s Li Yanfeng will now likely move up to silver, and Cuba’s Yarelys Barrios will slide into bronze.
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 0
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)