May 1, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
London silver medal discus thrower Darya Pishchalnikova has been banned for ten years and stripped of her medal by the Russian Track and Field Association after she was caught doping.
Pishchalnikova, 27, tested positive for Oxandrolone in the retest of an out-of-competition sample taken last May. The sample originally came back clean, but was reexamined by the World Anti-doping Agency with more sophisticated methods recently, and found to be tainted.
The ten year suspension actually could have been worse, since she was facing a lifetime ban after serving a two-year suspension between 2007-09 that eliminated her from competing in the Beijing Games.
China’s Li Yanfeng will now likely move up to silver, and Cuba’s Yarelys Barrios will slide into bronze.
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)