May 1, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
London silver medal discus thrower Darya Pishchalnikova has been banned for ten years and stripped of her medal by the Russian Track and Field Association after she was caught doping.
Pishchalnikova, 27, tested positive for Oxandrolone in the retest of an out-of-competition sample taken last May. The sample originally came back clean, but was reexamined by the World Anti-doping Agency with more sophisticated methods recently, and found to be tainted.
The ten year suspension actually could have been worse, since she was facing a lifetime ban after serving a two-year suspension between 2007-09 that eliminated her from competing in the Beijing Games.
China’s Li Yanfeng will now likely move up to silver, and Cuba’s Yarelys Barrios will slide into bronze.
- Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split 0
- Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city 4
- Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today 3
- Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics 1
- Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice 0
- Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic 2
- Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)