May 1, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
London silver medal discus thrower Darya Pishchalnikova has been banned for ten years and stripped of her medal by the Russian Track and Field Association after she was caught doping.
Pishchalnikova, 27, tested positive for Oxandrolone in the retest of an out-of-competition sample taken last May. The sample originally came back clean, but was reexamined by the World Anti-doping Agency with more sophisticated methods recently, and found to be tainted.
The ten year suspension actually could have been worse, since she was facing a lifetime ban after serving a two-year suspension between 2007-09 that eliminated her from competing in the Beijing Games.
China’s Li Yanfeng will now likely move up to silver, and Cuba’s Yarelys Barrios will slide into bronze.
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)