May 1, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
Amid the announcement that San Diego and Tijuana were considering a bi-national bid for the 2024 Olympics was the idea that, despite the obvious challenges with the proposal, 2012 republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is the man that could make it happen.
After all, he’s a successful businessman, he apparently saved the 2002 Salt Lake City Games, and has strong ties to San Diego. But while he was flattered by San Diego Mayor Bob Filner’s casual offer, Romney says thanks, but no thanks.
According to his adviser Eric Fehrnstrom, who spoke with the AP, Romney is happy to be a consultant on the bid, but does “not intend to take a management position with the committee.”
It’s obviously not a death knell, but with the complications at the border, the fear of violence, the difficulty with venue locations, and the fact that two countries hosting a Summer Games is against the rules of the IOC, San Diego is a long shot growing longer, and it needs some help.
If San Diego really wants to get involved in the Olympic movement, they’re better off looking 90 minutes north instead to help strengthen Los Angeles’s bid its third Games.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:23 AM EST
The IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships continue into next week.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:25 PM EST
U.S. mile record holder wants to make the Rio Olympic team in triathlon.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Franklin will likely need at least two Olympics to pass three U.S. women who share the Olympic medals record.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
But the Olympic judo bronze medalist would welcome a fight with Cyborg under certain conditions.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:03 PM EST
Canada hasn’t been that high since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:03 PM EST
A first for the U.S. in 20 years.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST
But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST
How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?
Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
- Alan Webb set for first Olympic-sized triathlon test Saturday 0
- Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever 1
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)