May 1, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
Amid the announcement that San Diego and Tijuana were considering a bi-national bid for the 2024 Olympics was the idea that, despite the obvious challenges with the proposal, 2012 republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is the man that could make it happen.
After all, he’s a successful businessman, he apparently saved the 2002 Salt Lake City Games, and has strong ties to San Diego. But while he was flattered by San Diego Mayor Bob Filner’s casual offer, Romney says thanks, but no thanks.
According to his adviser Eric Fehrnstrom, who spoke with the AP, Romney is happy to be a consultant on the bid, but does “not intend to take a management position with the committee.”
It’s obviously not a death knell, but with the complications at the border, the fear of violence, the difficulty with venue locations, and the fact that two countries hosting a Summer Games is against the rules of the IOC, San Diego is a long shot growing longer, and it needs some help.
If San Diego really wants to get involved in the Olympic movement, they’re better off looking 90 minutes north instead to help strengthen Los Angeles’s bid its third Games.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Bolt previously said he would retire after the 2017 World Championships.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
“The rumor I’m trying to start right now is that Justin Gatlin paid him off.”
Aug 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix broke a U.S. record for World Championships medals.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Felix could try to race two individual events at the Rio Olympics.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:48 AM EDT
Justin Gatlin got the best of Usain Bolt in their only race before Gatlin’s doping ban.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:51 AM EDT
Pistorius could be out of prison in weeks.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
The first female Olympic ski jumper reinjured her right knee.
Aug 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Wylie went into sudden cardiac arrest on April 21 and was in a medically induced coma for two days.
Aug 26, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
The Opening Ceremony conflicts with a PGA Tour event.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
A 10-year-old girl competed in Kazan earlier this month.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Dodger Stadium and The Forum are potential venues.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
A two-time Olympic champion in the 200m moved into another runner’s lane during a semifinal.
Aug 25, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
Johnson could become the first African-American woman to compete on an Olympic water polo team.
Aug 25, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Marvin Sharp coached Bridget Sloan and Samantha Peszek.
Aug 25, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Paweł Fajdek reportedly paid his taxi fare with his World Championships hardware.
Aug 25, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
One medal favorite’s shoe came off during her race.
Aug 24, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Many have tried. None succeeded in making the Olympic team in all four events.
Aug 24, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Ledecky may also swim a non-freestyle event at trials.
Aug 24, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
See video and photos of the splash landing.
Aug 24, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Liliya Shobukhova provided “substantial assistance” in the fight against doping.
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 1
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 0
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- U.S. goes medal-less at World Championships; Bolt, Gatlin, Felix advance 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)