May 1, 2013, 12:07 PM EST
Have no fear, Billy Baldwin is here. The third-tier brother of Alec is lending his support to Olympic wrestling, and has taken on the role of “Hollywood Point Person” for the Committee to Preserve Olympic Wrestling.
The title is apparently self-described, but no less passionate for Baldwin, who wrestled at Binghamton College for only two years, but told the Associated Press that, “You can take the young man out of wrestling. But you can’t take wrestling out of the young man.”
Baldwin has enlisted Hollywood elite like his brother Alec, Ashton Kutcher, Steve Buscemi, Mario Lopez, and Mark Ruffalo to his cause. But far more importantly, he’s convinced Olympic athletes like Michael Phelps, Mark Spitz, Bruce Jenner, Carl Lewis, and Mary Lou Retton to endorse the sport.
“There’s a lot of appeal to having these famous people step up, and to have these Olympic legends stand up on behalf of a sport they’ve never competed in,” added Baldwin.
“But they get it. They respect and understand how important this is.”
Baldwin is aiming at getting those stars and athletes to lend their voices in a series public service announcements, and is also planning a celebrity auction to raise money for the movement.
Good luck, Billy. But remember: coffee is for closers.
- Olympic Year in Review: Winter Sports 0
- Lindsey Vonn OK after fall in Val d’Isere super-G (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record 0
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 7
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)