Apr 29, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
USOC Chief Executive Scott Blackmun told the Associated Press that the committee is considering ten cities for America’s 2024 Olympic bid, including a joint bid between San Diego and Tijuana.
“That would have its challenges, Blackmun said about the unprecedented bid. “We haven’t looked at it carefully. We just learned about it.”
The only two other bids specifically mentioned by Blackmun were Los Angles and Philadelphia, which both made their plans official in the last month. Tulsa, Dallas, San Francisco, and Boston are also likely under strong consideration.
“The process is really working the way it was supposed to…” he added. “We’ve got plenty of time. There are no specific deadlines on this process.”
The USOC, which hasn’t hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Salt Lake City Games and hasn’t hosted a Summer event since 1996, doesn’t really have to decide which city to go with until the bidding process starts in 2017, when the USOC is expected to go against Paris, Berlin, Rome, Toronto, and Dubai.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
USA Swimming Olympic Trials time standards reveal Ledecky’s greatness.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Board already included former NFL commissioner.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Doug Ulman calls last two years “most stressful” period of his life.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
London Games voted No. 1 overall.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
Ledecky broke five world records in two months this year.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
- Katie Ledecky would qualify for Olympic Trials in men’s events 0
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)