Apr 26, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Fierce Fiver and Olympic gold medalist Jordyn Wieber is in the gym adding some new skills to her already impressive bars repertoire. She’s working with coach John Geddert to add a Weiler full arm bar, which she hopes will soon be referred to as the “Wieber” instead when she uses it in competition. But Jordyn says she’s enjoying getting back in the training mindset.
“Taking a few months off is always tough to come back and get all the skills back and back into shape and everything,” Jordyn said. “But I’m having a lot of fun being around my teammates and cheering them on for their season while also working out… I’m looking forward to getting back into competition soon.”
Her immediate goal is still the 2013 National Championships in August, and she told students at Union High School in Grand Rapids earlier this week that she has Rio on her mind.
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)