Apr 25, 2013, 8:43 AM EDT
Former Soviet and New Jersey Devils defenseman Alexei Kasatonov will head the Russian hockey team as its general manager in an attempt to score the country its first gold since it began competing as an independent nation.
“We all know what the Olympics mean, what kind of interest it creates worldwide. It’s the biggest prize in hockey and I just couldn’t turn down this offer,” Kasatonov said. “My job would be to talk to players, including those from the NHL, but the head coach will always have the final word.”
Kasatonov, who served as a GM in the KHL after retiring from the game, will try to help shape a team that can impress home fans in Sochi next February the way he and his national teammates did in the 70s and 80s. He was on the Soviet squad that famously lost to the U.S. Miracle on Ice team at the 1980 Olympics, but he got his revenge by earning back to back golds at the ’84 and ’88 Games.
His job shouldn’t be too tough with home ice advantage and the likes of Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin headlining, but Russia hasn’t medaled in men’s hockey since earning bronze more than a decade ago at the Salt Lake and people are probably getting antsy. Kasatonov included.
- U.S. Women undefeated after opening of indoor volleyball Grand Prix tournament 0
- Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships 0
- Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League 0
- Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled 1
- Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds 1
- USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’ 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)