Apr 22, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT
Olympic bid officials from Tokyo, Istanbul, and Madrid were all in Fiji over the weekend to make their official 2020 pitches to the general assembly of the Oceania National Olympic Committee.
The delegation includes 17 pacific nations, including Australia, New Zealand, Guam, Samoa, and yes, the Federated States of Micronesia.
All three committees offered the group their different strengths during the respective meetings, with Tokyo stressing safety, innovation, and experience, Istanbul focusing on getting youth involved in sport, and Madrid talking about the ideals of inclusion and Olympism.
“We are reminded of the power of the Olympic movement in every corner of the planet,” Madrid Official and International Triathlon President Marisol Casado said. “What is interesting is that the values are translatable in every language, culture, and nationality, even when we are far from home.
“We are more similar than different.”
The final IOC vote will take place September 7 in Buenos Aires.
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)