Apr 22, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT
Olympic bid officials from Tokyo, Istanbul, and Madrid were all in Fiji over the weekend to make their official 2020 pitches to the general assembly of the Oceania National Olympic Committee.
The delegation includes 17 pacific nations, including Australia, New Zealand, Guam, Samoa, and yes, the Federated States of Micronesia.
All three committees offered the group their different strengths during the respective meetings, with Tokyo stressing safety, innovation, and experience, Istanbul focusing on getting youth involved in sport, and Madrid talking about the ideals of inclusion and Olympism.
“We are reminded of the power of the Olympic movement in every corner of the planet,” Madrid Official and International Triathlon President Marisol Casado said. “What is interesting is that the values are translatable in every language, culture, and nationality, even when we are far from home.
“We are more similar than different.”
The final IOC vote will take place September 7 in Buenos Aires.
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated 6
- Oscar Pistorius would be allowed in Paralympics after serving sentence 1
- Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide (verdict video) 3
- Mikaela Shiffrin eyes breakthrough with World Cup season approaching 0
- Oscar Pistorius trial judge rules out murder, verdict incomplete 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)