Apr 22, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT
Olympic bid officials from Tokyo, Istanbul, and Madrid were all in Fiji over the weekend to make their official 2020 pitches to the general assembly of the Oceania National Olympic Committee.
The delegation includes 17 pacific nations, including Australia, New Zealand, Guam, Samoa, and yes, the Federated States of Micronesia.
All three committees offered the group their different strengths during the respective meetings, with Tokyo stressing safety, innovation, and experience, Istanbul focusing on getting youth involved in sport, and Madrid talking about the ideals of inclusion and Olympism.
“We are reminded of the power of the Olympic movement in every corner of the planet,” Madrid Official and International Triathlon President Marisol Casado said. “What is interesting is that the values are translatable in every language, culture, and nationality, even when we are far from home.
“We are more similar than different.”
The final IOC vote will take place September 7 in Buenos Aires.
- Mixed results for World champions in Zurich 0
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)