Apr 19, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Athens Olympics 200m champ Shawn Crawford has been suspended for two years by the U.S. Anti-doping Agency for not providing information about his whereabouts for out-of-competition drug testing.
The USADA said Crawford, who last competed at the U.S. Olympic Trials and apparently filed retirement paperwork earlier this year, committed three “whereabouts failures” in the last 18 months.
Offenses can include failing to provide your location to the USADA, or simply failing to make yourself available for testers at any and all moments.
“I don’t understand this. He hasn’t put on spikes all year,” Crawford’s coach Bobby Kersee told the AP. “I just don’t understand how this is allowed to happen? It’s wrong. Eventually, the truth has to come out.
“A person who hasn’t put on spikes all year, a married man trying to take care of his family and what does he get for the end of his career – a two-year ban? I don’t understand.”
Kersee added that he’s always been more than willing to fetch Crawford for testers at any time, but “no one has come up to me and asked for a drug test for Shawn all year.”
Crawford’s agent, Kimberly Holland, said she tried to convince him to continue running after he missed out on making the London Olympic team last summer, but that Crawfird said his heart wasn’t in it anymore.
Crawford actually finished fourth in the 200m race at the 2008 Beijing Games, but was bumped to silver after Churandy Martina and Wallace Spearmon ran outside their lanes. Crawford then gave his medal to Martina, who Crawford says beat him fair and square.
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)