Apr 17, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
World record Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt has finally confirmed that he’ll race at the London Grand Prix in July at the Olympic Stadium, where last year he became the first man ever to win the 100m and 200m double at consecutive Games.
“I’m looking forward to coming back to the UK, especially with it being a year since winning three golds in the Olympic Stadium,” Bolt said. “The crowd were amazing at the Games and I hope they will be out again… I haven’t competed at the London Diamond League since 2009, but it has always been a great meet with lots of Jamaican support. It almost feels like running at home.”
The reason Bolt hadn’t raced in London since 2009, save for the Olympics, was because he’s typically forced to pay taxes on his appearance fees (now $300,000 per event) and endorsements. But now they’ve created an exemption specifically for “non-resident athletes” to bring back the talent.
All-told, the London field will include 29 Olympic medalists, 12 world champions, and four world record holders. Besides Bolt, familiar faces will include Brits Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis, and Greg Rutherford, as well as Sally Pearson of Australia, Carmelita Jeter of the U.S., and Kirani James of Grenada.
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)