Apr 17, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
Brazilian officials said Tuesday that they’ll use conclusions drawn from the Boston Marathon bombings to determine whether to change security plans for the upcoming World Cup and Olympics.
“We will start understanding if there is something that Brazil can learn from the case and incorporate it into our strategy ahead of the upcoming events,” spokesperson Alexandre Castilho said.
“It could be something very useful for us, but it could be an isolated event, too, specific to the American scenario.”
Brazil’s Olympic Committee has called security their “top priority” and the country’s foreign minister said he plans to take “all necessary measures” as the world descends on Rio during the next three years, but FILA Secretary General Jerome Valcke is already planning tighten things up by 2014.
“With what happened in Boston, [security] will be even… stronger,” Valcke said while in Haiti. “We will push the limit to make sure that we have the security, from the beach, to the airport, to the stadium.”
Valke plans to work with law enforcement from all 32 countries represented at the World Cup, and to build off of the model created for the 2010 event in South Africa, to ensure athletes and spectators are safe.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Team will make its season debut with Skate America this weekend.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Cejudo pulled out of his original debut Aug. 30.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT
Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT
Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”
Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?
Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)