Apr 17, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
Brazilian officials said Tuesday that they’ll use conclusions drawn from the Boston Marathon bombings to determine whether to change security plans for the upcoming World Cup and Olympics.
“We will start understanding if there is something that Brazil can learn from the case and incorporate it into our strategy ahead of the upcoming events,” spokesperson Alexandre Castilho said.
“It could be something very useful for us, but it could be an isolated event, too, specific to the American scenario.”
Brazil’s Olympic Committee has called security their “top priority” and the country’s foreign minister said he plans to take “all necessary measures” as the world descends on Rio during the next three years, but FILA Secretary General Jerome Valcke is already planning tighten things up by 2014.
“With what happened in Boston, [security] will be even… stronger,” Valcke said while in Haiti. “We will push the limit to make sure that we have the security, from the beach, to the airport, to the stadium.”
Valke plans to work with law enforcement from all 32 countries represented at the World Cup, and to build off of the model created for the 2010 event in South Africa, to ensure athletes and spectators are safe.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)