Apr 16, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Russian sports officials said Tuesday that they plan to increase security at the World Athletics Championships in Moscow this summer, and at the Winter Olympics in Sochi next February in the wake of Monday’s explosions in Boston.
“Our security measures are tough as they are,” Secretary General Mikhail Butov told The Associated Press. “But when it’s clear what actually happened [in Boston], we will draw our conclusions.”
Butov plans to eventually speak with Boston Marathon organizers to find out what details of their security plan may have failed in the lead up to Monday’s attacks, so that they can ensure the safety of the spectators, athletes, and officials at their upcoming events.
Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko added that they’re “beefing up” security even more than the already stringent precautions that were in full-effect at Olympic test events in Sohci earlier this year, which many officials and athletes on hand deemed excessive.
- More U.S. Paralympians crash in Alpine skiing 0
- U.S., Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce star to end World Indoor Championships 0
- U.S. speed skaters excel at first post-Olympic World Cup 0
- U.S. wins 2 medals on Day 2 of Paralympics, gold still elusive 0
- Ashton Eaton ‘disappointed’ after missing world record in heptathlon; World Indoors recap 0
- U.S. wins 3 medals on first day of Sochi Paralympics 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin captures slalom title, inspired by girl with leukemia (video) 1