Apr 15, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
British Olympian Lawrence Okoye, who has never played a down of football but has been impressing scouts at regional combines this spring, is apparently working out with the Bears Monday for a spot on their D-line according to Dave Birkett.
“I really stood out because of my size, strength and speed,” Okoye told The Daily Mail last month after his first combine. “I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I was good [at the combine] – to the point that a lot of NFL clubs began talking to me.
Okoye, 21, 6-foot-6-inches and 285 pounds, finished twelfth in the discus in London and was planning to postpone his potential football career for one more Olympic cycle. But now he’s aiming full-speed toward the NFL.
He’s also worked out for San Francisco and New Orleans. And while he has no chance of being drafted (again, never played football) don’t be surprised if you see him in a uniform sometime next year. Especially after he ran a 4.78 seconds 40-yard-dash in Dallas a couple weeks ago.
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 0
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video) 0
- Usain Bolt ends his season 2
- Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs 4
- Simone Biles awes judges, U.S. legend to repeat at P&G Championships 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)