Apr 11, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
Jordyn Wieber’s comeback is officially underway. So far we’ve seen only been able to read her coach John Geddert’s Facebook post announcing her return to training, and see photos from Jordyn’s Instagram showing a few poses in her new floor routine. But now: some actual video coverage of Wieber in action.
Geddert recently allowed access to one of Wieber’s training sessions to Gymnastike, which covers NCAA and elite gymnastics. The site posted the footage on their web-series OMG (embeded below – skip ahead to 3:39 to see Jordyn), which shows Wieber tumbling and working out on the uneven bars, looking very much back in competition form.
According to Geddert, Jordyn has all her old tricks back, including her difficult trademark tumbling (we see her completing a double twisting, double summersault with ease in the video), and they are currently adding new skills. So, what’s the competition timeline? It was reported earlier that Wieber was gearing up for a return at the national championships in August, but things appear to be moving ahead of schedule and as Geddert told Gymnastike, the new goal is to be at the U.S. Classic in Chicago this July.
Wieber will be looking to make the 2013 World Championships, which, in the year after the Olympics, does not include a team competition and that means the team will be made up of only four athletes. With the brief and very (very) quiet announcement that first year senior and 2013 American Cup champion Katelyn Ohashi underwent shoulder surgery this past Friday, Wieber could look to fill an all-around spot for team USA.
Oh, wait! There’s one more Wieber rumor floating around the Gymnternet. Those “new skills” Geddert alludes to might include a second vault. With the departure of Alicia Sacramone, and McKayla Maroney’s training status largely unknown, the USA is short of gymnasts who can perform two vaults and defend the USA’s last three world vault titles. With two vaults in her back pocket, Jordyn Wieber could make things very interesting.
Check out OMG here:
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 1
- Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for Sochi after best comeback result (video) 1
- Jesse Owens’ gold medal goes for $1.4 million in auction 1
- Lindsey Vonn stronger in second comeback race (video) 3
- U.S. sweeps women’s bobsled in Park City (video) 3
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)