Apr 8, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Sports legends Michael Phelps and Michael Jordan went head-to-head on the Shadow Creek golf course in Vegas this weekend for the latter Michael’s twelfth annual Celebrity Invitational. Unfortunately for the famous host, the swimmer won the day, shooting a 72 to barely hold off his idol by a stroke.
I can only assume Phelps then mentioned how he owns sixteen more Olympic gold medals than Jordan and never had to rely on Charles Barkley to win them, completely alienating the friendship forever.
I can also assume the notoriously competitive Jordan isn’t offering any mulligans, so it would appear Phelps’s lessons with Hank Haney are paying off. Back in February Phelps had just broken 90 for the first time and was willing to consider giving up a bronze medal in order to break 70. Now, only six weeks later, he’s already on the doorstep.
Maybe an attempt at joining the tour isn’t as far off for Phelps as we all thought.
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)