Apr 8, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Sports legends Michael Phelps and Michael Jordan went head-to-head on the Shadow Creek golf course in Vegas this weekend for the latter Michael’s twelfth annual Celebrity Invitational. Unfortunately for the famous host, the swimmer won the day, shooting a 72 to barely hold off his idol by a stroke.
I can only assume Phelps then mentioned how he owns sixteen more Olympic gold medals than Jordan and never had to rely on Charles Barkley to win them, completely alienating the friendship forever.
I can also assume the notoriously competitive Jordan isn’t offering any mulligans, so it would appear Phelps’s lessons with Hank Haney are paying off. Back in February Phelps had just broken 90 for the first time and was willing to consider giving up a bronze medal in order to break 70. Now, only six weeks later, he’s already on the doorstep.
Maybe an attempt at joining the tour isn’t as far off for Phelps as we all thought.
- USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’ 0
- Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets 0
- Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday 0
- Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics 0
- Flashback: Michael Phelps at the Sydney 2000 Olympics 0
- Five takeaways from U.S. Track and Field Championships 0
- Boston 2024 releases Olympic bid version 2.0 (photos) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)