Apr 8, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Sports legends Michael Phelps and Michael Jordan went head-to-head on the Shadow Creek golf course in Vegas this weekend for the latter Michael’s twelfth annual Celebrity Invitational. Unfortunately for the famous host, the swimmer won the day, shooting a 72 to barely hold off his idol by a stroke.
I can only assume Phelps then mentioned how he owns sixteen more Olympic gold medals than Jordan and never had to rely on Charles Barkley to win them, completely alienating the friendship forever.
I can also assume the notoriously competitive Jordan isn’t offering any mulligans, so it would appear Phelps’s lessons with Hank Haney are paying off. Back in February Phelps had just broken 90 for the first time and was willing to consider giving up a bronze medal in order to break 70. Now, only six weeks later, he’s already on the doorstep.
Maybe an attempt at joining the tour isn’t as far off for Phelps as we all thought.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)