Apr 5, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Track legend and nine-time world champ Michael Johnson doesn’t seem to be too terribly upset about Usain Bolt breaking his 200m record, and thinks the Jamaican sprinter’s best races are still yet to come.
“I know for a fact that he can run faster,” Johnson said earlier this week. “Whether he will or not is another question. But I know that he can.
“In analyzing him as an athlete and looking at his races and doing some bio-mechanical analysis on him … he could run faster.”
Bolt bested Johnson’s seemingly unbeatable world record mark of 19.32-seconds from Atlanta at the Beijing Games, then Bolt shattered his own mark by more than a tenth of a second at the 2009 world championships in Berlin.
But while the Jamaican star became the first man to repeat as 100m and 200m champ last summer, he was only able to equal Johnson’s 200m mark from 1996. Of course, no one has come close to Johnson’s 400m record, set in 1999, with London champ Kirani James finishing more than seven-tenths off the pace.
Aug 5, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT
Olympic trials events start this fall.
Aug 5, 2015, 8:11 AM EDT
Ten athletes other than Phelps, Bolt, Franklin and Lochte who are gold-medal contenders in Rio.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
The film includes footage from Olympics from 1976 through 2012.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Franklin got a horrible start in the 100m backstroke.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
U.S. sailors comment while training at Guanabara Bay.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
- One year out: Notable athletes to watch in Rio 0
- Greg Louganis recalls Olympic diving, HIV, coming out in ‘Back on Board’ film 1
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 1
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)