Apr 4, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT
South African sprinter Oscar Pistorius, who was charged with murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp back in February, has been cleared by the world governing body for Paralympic sport to compete in the IPC World Championships in France this July, according to an internal report at the IPC acquired by the UK’s Telegraph Sport.
Pistorius’s agent Peet van Zyl will be notified that the six-time Paralympic gold medalist will be allowed to register after it was determined that he shouldn’t be barred from competing before his trial.
“I respect his wish to mourn Reeva’s death as long as it takes,” van Zyl told Telegraph Sport when presented with the news. “Only Oscar will be the one who decides when he wants to start training and race again, both [his coach] and myself respect the relationship we have as a trio.”
Many assumed the sprinter’s training had already started after photo of Pistorius walking on a high school track was published on the front page of the Afrikaans-language Beeld newspaper Thursday. But van Zyl said Pistorius was just out for a jog Tuesday after meeting with his agent and coach.
Although it seems his training will be coming pretty soon:
“This is not disrespectful to Reeva or her family,” van Zyl added. “This has been part of his life for so many years. If it makes things easier for him to work through it and get some sense back into his life, let him run and let him jog. He’s a human being and that’s maybe an outlet for him.”
Aug 5, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT
Olympic trials events start this fall.
Aug 5, 2015, 8:11 AM EDT
Ten athletes other than Phelps, Bolt, Franklin and Lochte who are gold-medal contenders in Rio.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
The film includes footage from Olympics from 1976 through 2012.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Franklin got a horrible start in the 100m backstroke.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
U.S. sailors comment while training at Guanabara Bay.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
- One year out: Notable athletes to watch in Rio 0
- Greg Louganis recalls Olympic diving, HIV, coming out in ‘Back on Board’ film 1
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 1
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)