Mar 29, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
Usain Bolt is preparing to break his 14.35-seconds 150m record this Sunday in a one-off race down in Rio, the host of the upcoming 2016 Olympics.
“It will be my first speed event of the season,” Bolt said “I’ve already had the chance to run on a track laid in the street [in Manchester], but it’ll be interesting to run at Copacabana.”
The six time gold medalist will race training parter Daniel Bailey of Antigua and Alex Quinonez of Ecuador, as well as a Brazilian athlete on a four-lane blue track built specifically for the event, which runs along the beautiful Rio coastline.
Bolt also officially ruled out the long jump, saying he’s concerned it would hurt his knees. He’ll stick to the 100m,200m, and 4x100m races in Rio, hoping to become the first track star ever to win the three sprints in three consecutive Olympics.
Of course, ever the party animal, Bolt will also be enjoying the amenities down in South America.
“I know a lot of things about Brazil, but the thing I know most about are the beaches and the girls on the beaches,” he said. “But I’ve never had the time to go there, and I also want to go to a nightclub.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST
Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST
Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST
Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Kim outdueled the greatest snowboarder of all time.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Gracie Gold wants to deny history for Ashley Wagner.
Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Pairs free skate and free dance national titles to be awarded.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:23 AM EST
Vonn missed an opportunity to all but clinch the World Cup season downhill title.
Jan 23, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
Brown is poised to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion in 11 years.
Jan 23, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
Jacobellis has now won 13 gold medals in 18 major championships.
Jan 23, 2015, 9:54 AM EST
Olympic medalists threw out ceremonial first pitches last season.
Jan 23, 2015, 8:44 AM EST
Miller now looks ahead to the World Championships.
Jan 22, 2015, 11:57 PM EST
White had the same finish as he did in Sochi.
Jan 22, 2015, 11:44 PM EST
The free skate is live on NBC on Saturday night.
Jan 22, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Weir and Lipinski will be based at the Super Bowl XLIX Tailgate Party.
Jan 22, 2015, 8:47 AM EST
But LeMond might be willing to talk to Armstrong.
Jan 22, 2015, 8:28 AM EST
No other U.S. Olympian from Sochi can say they’ve performed better in top competitions in the last year.
Jan 21, 2015, 5:45 PM EST
A mix of youth and experience vying for the title and three World Championships spots.
- Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title 1
- Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title 3
- Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14 0
- Lindsey Vonn struggles in St. Moritz downhill (video) 0
- Jason Brown leads U.S. short program; quad debate stoked 1
- Bode Miller will not race Kitzbuehel downhill, hopeful for World Champs 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)