Mar 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
While Usain Bolt is promoting the 2016 Olympics with a 150m race on the beach in Rio, Powell is spend Easter weekend running in the Stawell Gift, a century-old 120m race on grass where entrants are handicapped by their speed. Not surprisingly, Powell won’t be given a head-start.
The former world record holder says he’s fully healed from the hamstring tear he suffered during the 100m final in London, and that he, Yohan Blake, and the rest of the Olympic field aren’t done chasing Powell’s famous compatriot.
“Everyone is improving,” Powell told Australia’s Herald Sun Friday. “There’s a lot of development going on. I don’t know what the future holds, but I know people can run very fast. I don’t know if the record will be lower. I know my best is yet to come… I just need an injury-free year.”
Of course, he’s not denying Bolt’s talent:
“He is very strong and he is very fast. He is the man right now, he is the man to beat, he is the world record holder … everyone wants to be No.1.”
For all his accolades, Powell has never won an individual gold at worlds or the Olympics, and he’ll be 33 when Rio rolls around. But after recovering from his injury, Powell is happy just to see if he can become only the third man in 131 years to win the Stawell Gift starting from scratch.
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Bode Miller out until January due to back surgery 0
- Peter Forsberg and the Olympics 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)