Mar 27, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Missy Franklin has been named one of three finalists for the AAU Sullivan Award Tuesday, which honors America’s top amateur athlete.
Missy outlasted five London Olympic gold medalists including diver David Boudia, boxer Clareesa Shields, gymnast Gabby Douglas, water polo player Maggie Steffens, and wrestler Jordan Burroughs in the fan vote.
Now her five Olympic medals, two world records, and title of FINA Swimmer of the Year will go up against weightlifter Darren Barnes, who owns every single junior, school age, and senior record in the 56kg weight class, and Liz Brenner, who earned second-team All-American status as a volleyball player at Oregon, started on the University basketball and softball teams, and throws shot and discus for the track team.
But even against those impressive talents, Missy is likely to join London U.S. teammates Michael Phelps and Jessica Long, as well as the legendary Mark Spitz on the list of acquatic athletes who’ve taken home the prestigious award. The AAU will announce the winner at ceremony in Florida on April 16.
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)