Mar 27, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Missy Franklin has been named one of three finalists for the AAU Sullivan Award Tuesday, which honors America’s top amateur athlete.
Missy outlasted five London Olympic gold medalists including diver David Boudia, boxer Clareesa Shields, gymnast Gabby Douglas, water polo player Maggie Steffens, and wrestler Jordan Burroughs in the fan vote.
Now her five Olympic medals, two world records, and title of FINA Swimmer of the Year will go up against weightlifter Darren Barnes, who owns every single junior, school age, and senior record in the 56kg weight class, and Liz Brenner, who earned second-team All-American status as a volleyball player at Oregon, started on the University basketball and softball teams, and throws shot and discus for the track team.
But even against those impressive talents, Missy is likely to join London U.S. teammates Michael Phelps and Jessica Long, as well as the legendary Mark Spitz on the list of acquatic athletes who’ve taken home the prestigious award. The AAU will announce the winner at ceremony in Florida on April 16.
- Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react 4
- Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman 0
- Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more 0
- Usain Bolt: Tyson Gay’s reduced ban ‘the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard’ 0
- Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’ 0
- Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men 0
- Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)