Mar 27, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
Missy Franklin has been named one of three finalists for the AAU Sullivan Award Tuesday, which honors America’s top amateur athlete.
Missy outlasted five London Olympic gold medalists including diver David Boudia, boxer Clareesa Shields, gymnast Gabby Douglas, water polo player Maggie Steffens, and wrestler Jordan Burroughs in the fan vote.
Now her five Olympic medals, two world records, and title of FINA Swimmer of the Year will go up against weightlifter Darren Barnes, who owns every single junior, school age, and senior record in the 56kg weight class, and Liz Brenner, who earned second-team All-American status as a volleyball player at Oregon, started on the University basketball and softball teams, and throws shot and discus for the track team.
But even against those impressive talents, Missy is likely to join London U.S. teammates Michael Phelps and Jessica Long, as well as the legendary Mark Spitz on the list of acquatic athletes who’ve taken home the prestigious award. The AAU will announce the winner at ceremony in Florida on April 16.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)