Mar 26, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
While wrestling fans are new to wondering how and why their sport was unceremoniously ousted from the Olympics, the feeling is old hat for baseball and softball aficionados, who saw their sports voted out in a similar fashion back in 2005.
But with all three sports vying to reenter the Games through upcoming IOC votes, baseball and softball officials think the success of the recent World Baseball Classic has boosted their chances of regaining Olympic status for the 2020 Games.
Apparently the global ticket sales and broadcast numbers exceeded expectations, which WBSF co-president Riccardo Fraccari said “clearly indicate that our sport could help further drive the Olympic brand in key and lucrative regions.”
The other WBSF co-president, Don Porter, echoed the sentiment, saying he believes baseball and softball can be the “next global game.” No doubt that wrestlers have a different opinion.
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 5
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)