Mar 25, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
Istanbul’s bid committee got a bit ahead of itself Monday, announcing its official motto of the 2020 Games – “Bridge Together” – six months before the IOC even votes on who will host the event.
The slogan was inspired by Istanbul’s Bosporus Bridge, which connects the city’s European and Asian sides, and describes the unique geographical ability Turkey has to host the Games on two different continents.
Turkish billionaire Ali Koc was also on hand during the IOC evaluation committee’s second day of inspection to assure the group that the bid has the full support of the local businesses, including the $20 million recently pledged by seven companies.
Istanbul is the last stop for the evaluation committee, which looked at Tokyo and Madrid earlier this month. The group will submit reports to the IOC for a final vote coming this September in Buenos Aires.
- Michael Johnson: track and field would be dead without Olympics 0
- Shaun White, Kelly Clark headline Dew Tour Olympic qualifying event 1
- Evan Lysacek will not compete at Sochi Olympics (video) 2
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 1
- Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for Sochi after best comeback result (video) 1
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)