Mar 25, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Istanbul’s bid committee got a bit ahead of itself Monday, announcing its official motto of the 2020 Games – “Bridge Together” – six months before the IOC even votes on who will host the event.
The slogan was inspired by Istanbul’s Bosporus Bridge, which connects the city’s European and Asian sides, and describes the unique geographical ability Turkey has to host the Games on two different continents.
Turkish billionaire Ali Koc was also on hand during the IOC evaluation committee’s second day of inspection to assure the group that the bid has the full support of the local businesses, including the $20 million recently pledged by seven companies.
Istanbul is the last stop for the evaluation committee, which looked at Tokyo and Madrid earlier this month. The group will submit reports to the IOC for a final vote coming this September in Buenos Aires.
- U.S., Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce star to end World Indoor Championships 0
- U.S. speed skaters excel at first post-Olympic World Cup 0
- U.S. wins 2 medals on Day 2 of Paralympics, gold still elusive 0
- Ashton Eaton ‘disappointed’ after missing world record in heptathlon; World Indoors recap 0
- U.S. wins 3 medals on first day of Sochi Paralympics 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin captures slalom title, inspired by girl with leukemia (video) 1
- Ted Ligety wins first post-Olympic race, notches World Cup first (video) 0