Mar 25, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Istanbul’s bid committee got a bit ahead of itself Monday, announcing its official motto of the 2020 Games – “Bridge Together” – six months before the IOC even votes on who will host the event.
The slogan was inspired by Istanbul’s Bosporus Bridge, which connects the city’s European and Asian sides, and describes the unique geographical ability Turkey has to host the Games on two different continents.
Turkish billionaire Ali Koc was also on hand during the IOC evaluation committee’s second day of inspection to assure the group that the bid has the full support of the local businesses, including the $20 million recently pledged by seven companies.
Istanbul is the last stop for the evaluation committee, which looked at Tokyo and Madrid earlier this month. The group will submit reports to the IOC for a final vote coming this September in Buenos Aires.
- Evan Lysacek: ‘My career is coming to an end’ 0
- Usain Bolt takes on all questions in India 1
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)