Mar 25, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Istanbul’s bid committee got a bit ahead of itself Monday, announcing its official motto of the 2020 Games – “Bridge Together” – six months before the IOC even votes on who will host the event.
The slogan was inspired by Istanbul’s Bosporus Bridge, which connects the city’s European and Asian sides, and describes the unique geographical ability Turkey has to host the Games on two different continents.
Turkish billionaire Ali Koc was also on hand during the IOC evaluation committee’s second day of inspection to assure the group that the bid has the full support of the local businesses, including the $20 million recently pledged by seven companies.
Istanbul is the last stop for the evaluation committee, which looked at Tokyo and Madrid earlier this month. The group will submit reports to the IOC for a final vote coming this September in Buenos Aires.
- Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix 0
- Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules 0
- Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi 0
- Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon 0
- Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video) 4
- Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record 0
- Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)