Mar 25, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Istanbul’s bid committee got a bit ahead of itself Monday, announcing its official motto of the 2020 Games – “Bridge Together” – six months before the IOC even votes on who will host the event.
The slogan was inspired by Istanbul’s Bosporus Bridge, which connects the city’s European and Asian sides, and describes the unique geographical ability Turkey has to host the Games on two different continents.
Turkish billionaire Ali Koc was also on hand during the IOC evaluation committee’s second day of inspection to assure the group that the bid has the full support of the local businesses, including the $20 million recently pledged by seven companies.
Istanbul is the last stop for the evaluation committee, which looked at Tokyo and Madrid earlier this month. The group will submit reports to the IOC for a final vote coming this September in Buenos Aires.
- Tatyana McFadden claims surprise Paralympic silver medal 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ bathroom door, cricket bat appear at murder trial 1
- Maria Hoefl-Riesch crashes in World Cup Finals downhill 0
- Ted Ligety stuns in World Cup Finals downhill; new overall leader 0
- Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals preview 0
- President Obama sends beer to Canadian prime minister to settle Olympic bet 2
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0