Mar 22, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Along with L.A., San Francisco, Dallas, Tulsa, and maybe Boston, officials in Seattle have answered the USOC’s call and, at the request of Mayor Mike McGinn, the Seattle Sports Commission plans to talk with the USOC about the city’s potential as an Olympic host for the 2024 Games.
“Our answer is yes, and we’re interested in finding out what the next steps are,” Ralph Morton, SSC executive director, told SeattlePI.com.
“It’s a fun discussion. It’s a long discussion, and it will be a thoughtful one. It will ultimately be looked at like a business decision — what is affordable and what is feasible.”
Morton said the SSC wants to keep talks informal, just until they figure out exactly what they’re getting into. But he believes that already standing venues could be upgraded instead of built from scratch, to keep costs down. And that the lasting legacy an Olympics provides a city would be worth the expense.
“Seattle is a world-class city. This is a city that is growing and going places,” Morton added. “We’re a little bit isolated out here, but it’s a happening place.”
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST
Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.
Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST
“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”
Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST
The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.
Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST
The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.
Feb 24, 2015, 1:13 PM EST
Powell says he hasn’t competed since 2001.
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)