Mar 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Turkey’s lone female gold medalist from the London Games, 1500m champ Asli Cakir Alptekin, is one of eight athletes who the World Anti-doping agency says has tested positive for banned, albeit yet unnamed, substances.
The IAAF is calling for the Turkish Athletics Federation to punish Alptekin, possibly with a lifetime ban, since she already served a two-year suspension for doping back in 2004.
That previous ban, plus the fact that Alptekin went from failing to even make the 1500m finals at the 2011 world championships to being the best runner at her distance in mere months was, not surprisingly, considered pretty suspicious.
In fact, British 1500m runner Lisa Dobriskey, who finished tenth, told the Mirror: “I’ll probably get into trouble for saying this but I don’t believe I’m competing on a level playing field,” likely hinting at Alptekin.
If Alptekin is stripped of her medal, her countrywoman Gamze Bulut would actually move up from silver to gold. But given their affiliation, she might have to prove her innocence before accepting the award.
Maryam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain finished third to win her country’s first ever medal. Of course, her countryman Rashid Ramzi won the men’s 1500m in Beijing before being stripped of his gold for doping.
I’m just going to stop typing now.
- Mikaela Shiffrin: ‘I’m trying to show people what’s not impossible’ 0
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)