Mar 20, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
USA Hockey and NHL Officials held a preliminary meeting Tuesday night to discuss which U.S. players could potentially fill the roster for this May’s world championships in Sweden and Finland.
Of course, they won’t be able to make any final official decisions until we’re much closer to the event, due to a late NHL season that was pushed back by the infamous player lockout.
“We’ve always had a running list in our group and we updated guys’ thoughts on where they felt players were at,” Johannson told ESPN. “There was a bit of an emphasis on some players that we need to keep track of a little bit more.”
Also on the agenda: naming a general manager for the U.S. team, a decision that’s being delay because of the ongoing talks between the NHL, IOC, and IIHF over whether the pros will be playing in next February’s Sochi Olympics. The position is likely to go to 2010 GM Brian Burke, who helped the team to the championship game in Vancouver, where they won silver after losing to Canada in overtime.
“In the end, we’re waiting to make sure the NHL is a full-go with it,” Johannson added. “I know the talks are going well, but it’s hard to do anything until that’s official.”
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)