Mar 15, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
Russians Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov captured their first world championship Friday in Ontario after finishing second the last two years.
The pair, who probably represent the best chance the home team has of winning any figure skating medals at the Olympics next year, earned 225.71 points to effectively route the field. Their closest competitors, two time defending champs Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy of Germany, finished in second with 205.56 points.
When he asked what the win meant, Trankov admitted that it might actually be bigger for the country than for him and Tatiana: “It means we can fight for the gold in Sochi and give back to Russia Olympic gold.”
Of course, since Russia won twelve consecutive Olympic golds in pairs skating between 1964 and 2006 – before missing the podium entirely in 2010 – maybe that’s where the gold rightfully belongs.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
USA Swimming Olympic Trials time standards reveal Ledecky’s greatness.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Board already included former NFL commissioner.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Doug Ulman calls last two years “most stressful” period of his life.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
London Games voted No. 1 overall.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
Ledecky broke five world records in two months this year.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
- Katie Ledecky would qualify for Olympic Trials in men’s events 0
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)