Mar 12, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Wrestling may be out of the 2020 Games (for now), but the (suddenly) popular sport was added to the inaugural European Games in 2015 in Azerbaijan.
“I’d like to thank the EOC for its constructive approach in welcoming the sport of wrestling into the inaugural European Games in Baku,” FILA acting president Nenad Lalovic said Tuesday after signing a letter of understanding with the event.
“This is important to our sport and it will take place in one of the most passionate wrestling countries.”
Wrestling’s governing body had previously decided not to take part in the event, but changed its tune after the sport was surprisingly ousted from the 2020 program during an IOC executive board vote last month. The new European Games will include both freestyle and Greco-Roman events, and will serve as a qualifier for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 0
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)