Mar 12, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Voters still have a week to submit their ballots, but unlike the Swiss vote, which was vetoed by only a slim margin, Vienna’s referendum was a large failure among the population, as 72 percent opposed the idea of hosting the Olympics.
“Apparently most people are not convinced that the city would benefit in the long term from investing in the Games,” Mayor Michael Haeupl said.
It seems silly to shoot down the idea this early, since there are still about six years until they’d really need to declare their intentions to bid, but apparently the citizens are pretty serious about the financial obligations the Games bring. Austria has never hosted a Summer Olympics, after coming in third to Tokyo for the 1964 Games, but hosted the Winter Games in Innsbruck in 1964 and 1976.
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 3
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)